I am not a doctor, I am just like you, someone who got the short straw and have MS in my case for a long time.
Question for you, do you get indigestion, they call it GERD? That is that feeling too like you said, the ball stuck in the breast bone. When I get it bad I swear I can point with my finger to the exact spot.
Over the counter, you can get Prilosec OTC. It is a proton pump inhibitor. What does that mean....well, in our stomachs there are mechanisms that produce the acid and we need some to digest food but sometimes things go over the top. It won't hurt you, you see it on TV, I would pick up a box and try it, or better yet, your doctor can order a prescription strength so your insurance covers it and if you take it in the AM with any other pills EXCEPT the Tecfidera but also take your full strength coated enteric aspirin and then wait 1 hour and then try the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches (my favorite is the croissant with egg, cheese and sausage) they are in the frozen food department, 4 to a box. They are individually wrapped. You take it out, wrap in a paper towel and put it on a plate in the microwave 1 1/2 minutes on defrost and then turn it over and give it 45 seconds on full power and then you take it out and wait one minute to cool and it is small, easy to eat in the car, or walking around the house, whatever and ok with coffee or milk (I had to stop OJ in the AM because gave me an acid stomach) and Take your Tecfidera while eating it.
Please consider that and then have a normal lunch and if you are still having that pain in the upper stomach, many of us that have GERD take our afternoon Prevacid or Prilosec an HOUR before our evening meal and then eat our evening meal with the Tecfidera and then our evening meds we take at bedtime. This seems to keep us from going into the spasms and gastric distress overload because we already have GERD anyways.
If you don't normally have an acid stomach with indigestion, reflux, aka GERD, then I would do the following:
1. Get up and take all other meds EXCEPT Tecfidera but also take the full aspirin (enteric coated).
2. One hour later either do the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich thing OR make 2 scrambled eggs, toast (which can be regular toast or english muffin, biscuit etc) and either bacon, sausage, turkey sausage, whatever your choice and take your Tecfidera during the meal. This includes you can have your beverage of choice, for now I would stay away from OJ or grapefruit.
3. Lunch, have a normal lunch; soup, sandwich, etc. I would be careful about any soda
4. One hour before evening meal take your full enteric coated aspirin or Tylenol. If you need crackers or something, go for it.
5. Evening meal. I would stay away from acidic but I am able to do salads, some type of meat, chicken, pork, steak with a starch (potato or rice) or one of the stir fry meals that has pasta and chicken whatever you like but take the Tecfidera during the meal.
6. Bed time go ahead and take your other meds.
The main thing is that you have to eat. Not much (I am not hungry on this either maybe it will be a weight loss product
One your stomach is messed up, it will take a day or two to get things in order. OK to chew TUMS good for calcium and that should help. Please give it a try to get on a specific schedule and don't deviate for 3 days and you should notice the difference.
If you have suffered from GERD and it has gotten out of control, please call your doctor and have them order you one of the Proton Pump Inhibitors (Prevacid, Prilosec etc...) prescription dose and ask them to let you go on it twice a day for now until things settle down.
My GERD is so bad that I get esophageal spasm that makes you feel like you are having a heart attack. I take Prevacid twice a day and as outlined on the schedule above. I have other MS friends on this new med that were on something once a day and their doctors increased them to twice a day and they are doing great.
I am about a month ahead of you and I have noticed in the past 2 weeks that everything was settling down and I dropped the night aspirin and as long as I eat so that I have the proper FATS, CARBS, PROTEIN and something to ABSORB the acid in my stomach with my meals I am great. As soon as I mess up and skip lunch or have a protein shake or just a yogurt at lunch I get that ball in the stomach feeling and I know I have to get something like crackers or a muffin or something to help absorb.
Good luck. Please let me know how you are doing. You can PM me if you want.