Fatigue?

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.

Re: Fatigue?

Postby Nica30 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:39 am

Hi,

I just began taking Tecfidera and I have been going to sleep right after taking it. I spoke to a nurse at my neuro-optomologists office and explained to me that the doctor has never heard of fatigue being a side effect. I can only take the night time dosage because I drive during 90% of the day for my job. It's sad that doctors don't know all the side effects of medication or share them all with you.
Nica30

Advertisement

Postby euphoniaa » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:55 am

Nica30 wrote:Hi,

I just began taking Tecfidera and I have been going to sleep right after taking it. I spoke to a nurse at my neuro-optomologists office and explained to me that the doctor has never heard of fatigue being a side effect. I can only take the night time dosage because I drive during 90% of the day for my job.

It's sad that doctors don't know all the side effects of medication or share them all with you.

Below is what I wrote in another Tecfidera thread that may explain why ALL the side effects aren't known or listed for brand new meds until years after their release:

I'm sorry to hear that you both may have an additional unreported side effect from Tecfidera, so please DO report it to the FDA. The numbers in drug studies are relatively small, so the full side effects can't possibly be listed until years after they have been in use in the general population.

Here's a link to the Tecfidera "Official Prescribing Information": http://www.tecfidera.com/pdfs/full-pres ... mation.pdf where you can find all the reported adverse events and percentages.

It shows that, during the 2 studies, only 1529 total patients (769 patients and 760 patients) even took the drug before it was approved. You should report any new side effects to the FDA, just in case they turn out to be just as prevalent as the others on their drug insert.

From the Official Prescribing Information:
"To report SUSPECTED ADVERSE REACTIONS, contact Biogen Idec at
1-800-456-2255 or FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.

Good luck!
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Postby litljac73 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:46 pm

I just started Tecfidera 6 days ago. I thought it was just me with this fatigue. I've been taking B12 injections to fight fatigue prior to this, and I was wondering why it was not working as of lately. I have experienced the flashes...whoa, when they hit....but, they are not as bad as I thought. The nausea has been minimal as well...so far. I start my double dose (240mgx2 a day) tomorrow (ugh). I am dreading this. I can't seem to wrap my head around taking this drug when it was initially made to be a mold retardant for shipping/storing products, such as shoes, mattresses, etc. I spend everyday wondering what genius thought this would be a good idea to put into our bodies to fight an already PIA disease. I guess I am just venting. :cry:
litljac73

Postby MSandI » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi littljac,
I to am due to start this drug. For some of the things you said about it are what is stopping me. I am scared that if I do take this drug, down the road will happen to me as a result. Cancer? At the same time, I am scared to not take it, what if it is the solution? Since joining this site, I have learned more about ms than I did from the neuro. My suggestion to you is read all over this site, including long ago post and then talk to people and ask questions. Very friendly place
Ann :-D
MSandI
Family Member

Previous

Return to Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate)