Tecfidera and Menstruation

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
Jumper

Tecfidera and Menstruation

Post by Jumper »

I'm 40. Has anyone experienced a change in their monthly cycle since being on Tecfidera?
princesst

Re: Tecfidera and Menstruation

Post by princesst »

Not yet but only in it 17 days...if so I'll let you know
FriscoTxMS
Getting to Know You...

Post by FriscoTxMS »

Yes, I was wondering if it was only me. I started Tecfidera mid-September and have had regular periods since. Prior, I could go a year or two before having a period.
LauraLou543

Post by LauraLou543 »

I just started Tecfidera about a month and a half ago. My period started this week, and usually I am in a lot of pain for the first 2 days. I have not had one bit of pain. That has never happened. Also, it has just been strange. Not a consistent flow. It seemed to stop early, and there was nothing for 18ish hours, and suddenly it came back full force and I had to run to the bathroom.
Gallamel

Post by Gallamel »

I started Tecfidera 2.5 weeks ago. I'm on birth control pills- but since starting tecfidera I bled for 12 days! Is this because of the Tecfidera? I don't see any other reason. I'm worried because I do not want to have any reproductive problems. My husband and I want to have our first child soon.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Gallamel wrote:I started Tecfidera 2.5 weeks ago. I'm on birth control pills- but since starting tecfidera I bled for 12 days! Is this because of the Tecfidera? I don't see any other reason. I'm worried because I do not want to have any reproductive problems. My husband and I want to have our first child soon.
Tecfidera was found to cause testicular toxicity in preclinical testing. http://www.thisisms.com/forum/tecfidera ... 22021.html I don't know what it does in females or in people. It's certainly something to discuss with your doctor.
rancholulu
Getting to Know You...

Post by rancholulu »

I've been on Tecfidera for 20 days now, and my period is 6 days late, currently. I haven't been this late starting possibly ever. I'm definitely assuming the delay is due to the medication, especially since I have only gotten negatives on the couple of PT's I've taken. My husband and I are trying to conceive but we only had one shot at it over the past month, so if I'm pregnant, that would be crazy! And I know I'm supposed to halt taking Tecfidera immediately as soon as I find out that I am pregnant...ahhhhh, good times.
rancholulu
Getting to Know You...

Post by rancholulu »

Update: I think the medication might have played a part in my ovulating late this month, which explains why I am 9 days late (definitely not pregnant). I haven't asked my doctor what his thoughts are about it yet.
mkbmomma

Post by mkbmomma »

I am newly diagnosed with MS in April 2014 and have been on Tecfidera for a little over 2 months and I have missed both of my last 2 periods. I am not pregnant which was confirmed by a test in the hospital prior to recieving Xrays and a CT scan. I am on birth control pills and usually have just a ligth 3-4 day period, but I have had nothing the past 2 months. Not sure what's going on.
sandybg

Post by sandybg »

HI,
I been in on Tecfidera for 7 months and my menstruation has gotten worst then ever. Cramping has not been this bad since I was in Middle school and my flow has triple. Will this be a life until menopause?? :confused: