anyone have a fllareup since being on tecfidera

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.

anyone have a fllareup since being on tecfidera

Postby Ash3 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:10 pm

tecfidera flareup or not???
Ash3
Family Member

Advertisement

Re: anyone have a fllareup since being on tecfidera

Postby smslol » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Yes I did! It was the worst relapse I ever had, I never felt so bad in the 13 yrs I have had MS. I was on Tecfidera for 40 days. Each day I felt worse, bone pain, trouble walking, balance, blurry vision, zero energy, I was even on a stimulant. I tried to treat the symptoms and continue to stay on Tecfidera like they recommend . If I had it to do over, once I stared feeling like it was putting me into a relapse, I would have immediately stopped taking it! I would never have allowed myself to continue taking any drug that caused me to feel that bad had it not been for everyone saying to stay on it. Good luck I wish you the best! : )
smslol

Postby Ash3 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:11 pm

thank you for responding. If I may ask what are you taking now?
Ash3
Family Member

Postby jerrygallow » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:04 pm

me too! I have been on it for 40-50 days. I had very few side effects, just some slight bloating and flushing. However, I did notice many MS symptoms. I have been off meds for a year and a half and have been doing well. On the Tecfidera, I am much more fatigued, I started having some numbness in my left leg (never had that before), my left hand went numb, also new, my brain fog got much worse, and I had some eye pain. I also had the general feelings of a relapse (I get jittery, feel very anxious, feel pain in my lower back, and can't sleep yet feel exhausted)

So, I stopped it for a few days to see. Sure enough, my symptoms started clearing up. So I thought, maybe it was a fluke. I started up the Tecfidera again, and within a few days, all that I just described was back. Several times I stopped for a few days, then started again, just to make sure. Yesterday and today I stopped again after getting pretty close to a relapse if not in one. I think I am going to give it up for good. I just can't justify risking it, when I don't usually get much recovery after a relapse.

I think not all of us have the same disease. That or there is some die off effect, but I haven't heard other people mention that. Interestingly, Rebif did the same thing. It made me much worse.
jerrygallow
Family Member

Postby ebodebo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:27 am

I've been on Tecfidera for close to 1 year, and haven't experienced any flareups. However, I've only had 2 flareups in the 14 years I've had MS.
ebodebo

Return to Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate)