Stopping Tecfidera to get pregnant

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
kelyce522

Stopping Tecfidera to get pregnant

Post by kelyce522 »

Hey all!

I am new to this forum, but have had MS since 2007. I started Tecfidera about 5 months ago, switching from Avonex. I have a call into my neuro at the moment (since Tuesday anyway) to talk to him about stopping my treatment to get pregnant one more time. What I am curious about is whether or not anyone has any idea on how long you need to be off of Tecfidera before trying to get pregnant.? I called the ActiveNurse line yesterday to get some idea, but they had no clue. I'm sure there hasn't been many if any studies on this stuff yet, but I'm hoping someone knows something! I stopped copaxone before to get pregnant and had to be off for 4 months before TTC. Thank you in advance for any advice or info you may have!
kelyce522

Re: Stopping Tecfidera to get pregnant

Post by kelyce522 »

Just to let everyone know....I did speak to my Neuro today...turns out like it's like most other meds. They recommend stopping Tecfidera for 2 months before trying to get pregnant. Thanks to everyone who looked to see if they could help me out!
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

according to my source, the half life of dimethyl fumarate is only one hour.
kelyce522

Post by kelyce522 »

What is your source? I have called the nurse help line for tecfidera and spoke with my neuro... The nurse line was no help, but my neuro stated to do the 2 month detox like all other meds.... My search online turned nothing up either, including the tecfidera FAQ page. I am very curious!! Thank you for you input!!
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

kelyce522 wrote:What is your source? I have called the nurse help line for tecfidera and spoke with my neuro... The nurse line was no help, but my neuro stated to do the 2 month detox like all other meds.... My search online turned nothing up either, including the tecfidera FAQ page. I am very curious!! Thank you for you input!!
as an example...

"Metabolism

In humans, dimethyl fumarate is extensively metabolized by esterases, which are ubiquitous in the gastrointestinal tract, blood, and tissues, before it reaches the systemic circulation. Further metabolism of MMF occurs through the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle, with no involvement of the cytochrome P450 (CYP) system. MMF, fumaric and citric acid, and glucose are the major metabolites in plasma.

Elimination

Exhalation of CO2 is the primary route of elimination, accounting for approximately 60% of the TECFIDERA dose. Renal and fecal elimination are minor routes of elimination, accounting for 16% and 1% of the dose respectively. Trace amounts of unchanged MMF were present in urine.

The terminal half-life of MMF is approximately 1 hour and no circulating MMF is present at 24 hours in the majority of individuals. Accumulation of MMF does not occur with multiple doses of TECFIDERA."

source: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lo ... 84b9b49151
geebee1986

Post by geebee1986 »

My neuro told me I only needed to wait a couple of days because it leaves the body so quickly. That's why you have to take two pills a day, it has a super short half life.
mangohoney

Post by mangohoney »

Hi All,

I am also planning to get pregnant and am taking Tedfidera. Although the half-life of the drug is short, meaning that it's out of your system within a day of your last dose, the effects of the drug (e.g. reduced levels of white blood cells) last for a while after you're off it. That's why you should wait two months. That said, my neuro said not to worry if I accidentally got pregnant on the drug and that I should just go off it as soon as I know I'm pregnant. There is a registry for women who became pregnant on the drug: http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01911767

Good luck!
MrsGrande

Post by MrsGrande »

thanks for posting this! It's a big question for me too! i found this so helpful!