Elevated Liver Numbers!

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
mmpetunia
Family Elder

Elevated Liver Numbers!

Post by mmpetunia »

I've been on Tec for 4 weeks, 3 weeks at the standard dose and I've had a few mishaps with my labs. Initially, when I got labs to start the medication I had a borderline ANC of 1.8 which was concerning since Tec drops WBC counts. My neuro is being especially cautious and has ordered labs at 1,3, and 6 months so I just went in for my one month draw yesterday. The good news is that my ANC is 3.6, the bad news is that my AST went from 22 to 88 and my ALT went from 16 to 150. For reference the normal ranges for this lab are:
AST 10-40 U/L
ALT 0-36 U/L

I'm wondering if anyone else has had elevated liver numbers from Tec and what their doc did about it. I am overall pleased with being on Tec--it's so much easier than a shot and I would like to stay on it, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to with liver numbers like that.
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com
mmpetunia
Family Elder

Re: Elevated Liver Numbers!

Post by mmpetunia »

well, i didn't get a response to my question but i thought i would update the thread anyways since i have gotten labs drawn again. my numbers are back down to normal except for my ALT which remains about 10 points out of range. this could be because i stopped taking the aspirin or it could be from having a week or so of missing a dose here and there (giving my liver a break from the Tec) OR it could just be that my liver got over the initial shock of the medication and is all good now. who knows.
Last edited by mmpetunia on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

I am quitting Tecfidera due to sustained low total lymphocytes
Am639

Post by Am639 »

Hye ; Im 24 ; and was diagnosed with MS a year back. Optic Neuritis was the initial symptom. MRI was done to find 3-4 lesions on brain and 1-2 on Spine and i was diagnosed with MS.

Since then.. over a years time ; i haven trying TECFIDERA.... unfortunately over this period ; i was able to have the medicine only for 2 months.Each time ; i was on medicine ;my liver enzymes where elevated 10-15 times the allowed value.

By then a year passed.... and with my recent MRI... there are 9 lesions ! :(

Sad story is... i opted tecfidera to avoid taking shots.... and this is whats happening.
Doctor has suggested to try for Gilenya...

IS there any ways to lower the enzymes while having tecfidera ?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Am639 wrote:Hye ; Im 24 ; and was diagnosed with MS a year back. Optic Neuritis was the initial symptom. MRI was done to find 3-4 lesions on brain and 1-2 on Spine and i was diagnosed with MS.

Since then.. over a years time ; i haven trying TECFIDERA.... unfortunately over this period ; i was able to have the medicine only for 2 months.Each time ; i was on medicine ;my liver enzymes where elevated 10-15 times the allowed value.

By then a year passed.... and with my recent MRI... there are 9 lesions ! :(

Sad story is... i opted tecfidera to avoid taking shots.... and this is whats happening.
Doctor has suggested to try for Gilenya...

IS there any ways to lower the enzymes while having tecfidera ?
It could be an indicator of a generally stressed out liver from other things in your life. For example, do you drink alcohol, take other medications including OTC meds such as Tylenol, etc?