Flushing and makeup

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.

Flushing and makeup

Postby Maly » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:11 pm

3 months in on Tec and the flushing is still daily. If the 6 month check-up MRI shows nothing new, I can survive getting a bit red from time to time.

The problem is that the heat of the flushings are ruening my makeup, the foundation(ID bare minerals powder) kindoff separates from the skinn and gathers in spots on the face. I am not very vain but I would like to be able to wear some makup daily whithot having to redo it once a day.
Are there any woman(or men) out there that have any good tips?
Maly

Advertisement

Re: Flushing and makeup

Postby littlestbabie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:07 am

I just took my first dose of Tec today, and so far I haven't had any side effects, but then I only swallowed the pill about five hours ago. I do however wear makeup every day, even in the middle of sweltering summers. If your issue is sweatiness or extreme heat caused by the flushing, you would do well to invest in a matte moisturizer that contains an SPF. I use Cetaphil Dermacontrol Moisturizer SPF 30. Then over the matte moisturizer you should put on a primer that is melt-proof and long lasting; one of my favorites right now is Smashbox's 'Photo Finish' foundation primer. It's main ingredient is silicone, which makes it smooth and easy to put on and helps it even out fine lines & visible pores, as well as makes it resistant to melting in hot temperatures. It even comes in color correcting shades like light green in order to color-correct shades of red (I use it for residual acne marks on my pale skin), so if your flushing lasts for long periods of time or you're self-conscious about how it changes your skin tone, you could color-correct lightly in the morning in order to prepare for the red flush! For concealers, I would use a water-proof formula if you're having trouble with makeup melting. There are lots of good types, but the most notable I can think of right now is Lancôme Effacernes Waterproof Protective undereye concealer. It's light-diffusing and has a nice matte finish, and since it's waterproof it doesn't pool or budge after you apply it! There are TONS of waterproof, smudge/budge/melt/etc-proof foundations! Really you'll just have to look around at your favorite store for a foundation in your shade that's labeled 'long-lasting,' 'stay in place,' etc. There's department store lines like Rimmel Lasting Finish, Almay Truly Lasting Color, Loreal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte foundation, and lots more. There's also even more higher-end brands, like Estee Lauder's Double-Wear Stay-In-Place foundation, Kat Von D's Lock-It foundation, and Make Up For Ever's Face & Body Liquid Makeup Foundation. These are all examples of liquid foundation; unfortunately if your body temperature rises that much with flushing, you're going to have to experiment to see whether or not you can adequately continue to use a powder foundation. I would definitely still get a matte-finish moisturizer and a great primer, after which you could attempt to use your powder foundation over it, but I'm not sure how well that would work. Powders don't really stand up to heat or dampness unfortunately, and if your flushing has been that detrimental to your makeup, you may want to think about getting a matte BB or CC cream, which are less-heavy than the foundations I listed above. It's all about protective layering on your face, imo, hence the matte moisturizer followed by a strong primer. The matte moisturizer and primer will prime and protect your face, and therefore they will also protect whatever makeup you put on top of it from sudden internal temperature changes! If you wear eyeshadow, I would also invest in an eyelid primer, such as the ones from Urban Decay and Too Faced, and they can even be found at your local Wal-Mart if you look hard enough! Don't let your Tec-instigated flushings ruin your makeup game, you just need to play around with some different products! :)
littlestbabie
Family Member

Postby est1953 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:15 am

Hi my ms doctor told to try a small amount of cheese just before taking my meds .happy days it worked side effects gone . Hope it works for you. Ps . Bacon and eggs also works.
est1953

Postby SystemError » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:56 am

I realise this is over a year old now but... How far in advance of taking your Tec do you have the cheese? I might try this!
SystemError

Return to Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate)