Does it get better? Stomach pain & nausea

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
gc77584

Does it get better? Stomach pain & nausea

Post by gc77584 »

Hello,

I started Tecfidera on Oct. 30th, just finished second week of maintenance dose. I've had an iron stomach all my life, never had bowel problems - until now. I'm constantly nauseated, have the stomach pain others have described, and I'm constipated. I have no appetite and even experience stomach pain from drinking water.

I've read all the posts with the excellent suggestions, which I'm going to do my best to follow.

My question for those who have been on Tecfidera for a while: does it ever get better? I really need to know there's a light at the end of this stinkin' tunnel! :YMSICK: :YMSICK:

On the plus side, I think the weakness in my right leg was getting better, just from 2-3 weeks on the medication. Yay!!

Gretchen
Bender
Family Elder

Re: Does it get better? Stomach pain & nausea

Post by Bender »

My stomach definitely isn't what it used to be, but it did get easier as time went on. I find that it really does have to be taken with food, and preferably not at the same time as other meds of mine, or anything else that'll contribute to my stomach being more acidic.

It really is important to make sure you stay hydrated, your stomach issues could just be from that, if it's giving you diarrhea you could be needing significantly more fluids. If it's been uncomfortable try to drink smaller amounts throughout the day. (that said in my case a big glass of water tends to make it feel better so who knows)

I also find and have heard from others that a little fat makes it go down easier, I'll have a little ice cream with it sometimes, especially if I forgot to take it with food and it's off it's normal schedule. I can't say for sure this helps but I like it.
SystemError

Post by SystemError »

I had horrible stomach pain and nausea, diarrhoea, the whole drama for about a month when I started Tec, it was awful. I followed the advice in this forum and it helped a lot. Then one day it just stopped. Now I can take Tec without food, no problems. Only issue is the flushing, which seems to crop up randomly and has never really stopped.
gc77584

Post by gc77584 »

Update: I'm happy to report that with Zantac and time, my stomach issues have been eliminated. I take a 150 mg Zantac and aspirin with a full meal, then take the Tecfidera about 15-20 minutes later. No stomach pain, no nausea. I still get an occasional itchy tingle in my face even with the aspirin, but no actual flushing.
RedneckMBA
Family Member

Post by RedneckMBA »

I've been on the stuff for a year. I occasionally (like once or twice a week) get the Tecfidera shiits. It isn't violent or gut wrenching, just loosey goose.