"protective" t-cell therapies can kill neurons in

A board to discuss Tcelna as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
cheerleader
Family Elder

"protective" t-cell therapies can kill neurons in

Post by cheerleader »

ScienceDaily (May 6, 2011) — Researchers with the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry at the University of Alberta have discovered that some "protective" T-cells can kill neurons. This finding is significant because a specific type of T-cell therapy is being touted in the medical community as a potential treatment for MS and other autoimmune conditions.

Dr. Fabrizio Giuliani and his post-doctoral fellow, Yohannes Haile, both from the Division of Neurology, collaborated on this research which was recently published in the Journal of Leukocyte Biology, a peer-reviewed medical journal.
"Using T-cells has been seen as a potential treatment for autoimmune diseases," says Dr. Giuliani. "But these cells that are supposed to be regulatory, when activated, they can kill. In our hands, at least, they were able to kill neurons. So this is very important. In MS literature, they were starting to talk about using the infusion of these cells as treatment. This area needs to be studied more before these cells are used as a therapy for MS patients."
link
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
JanethePain
Family Elder

Post by JanethePain »

The t-cells for our treatment are irradiated. Please note the qualifiers in this article of "some," and "in our hands" and stuff like that.

And be suspicious. Odds are these guys have a competitor ready to launch and need to steal some thunder.
Jane the Pain
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

Nevertheless, it is a fact.
JanethePain
Family Elder

Post by JanethePain »

sou wrote:Nevertheless, it is a fact.
No one is going to throw a lasso around your neck, hog-tie you and brand you with Tovaxin. So don't let the cyber door smack you in the butt on your way out, okay?
Jane the Pain
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

LOL! I meant about the research, but I like the way you think...

And you call CCSVI supporters fanatics. I can see no difference. Keep up this way. As time goes by you keep getting more and more persuasive.
JanethePain
Family Elder

Post by JanethePain »

sou wrote:LOL! I meant about the research, but I like the way you think...

And you call CCSVI supporters fanatics. I can see no difference. Keep up this way. As time goes by you keep getting more and more persuasive.
A small difference here. We stay "fanatical" in our own little corner and don't go around annoying others to accept the way, truth and light of whatever turns them on. Hint, hint?
Jane the Pain
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

So what? Does this make you better? I was attacked for expressing my opinion, without belonging to the group of people you mentioned. Just in case... Hint, hint.

Can't anybody just be neutral here?
Looking88
Family Member

Post by Looking88 »

Maybe they were not specifically talking about Tovaxin in the original story? I read about a proposed treatment of re-infusing T-cells that had been targeted towards EBV. This makes sense if you think MS is EBV attacking you. Unfortunately, if MS is you attacking the EBV in you, then this treatment might be counter productive.

I should add, nobody is infusing EBV targeted T-cells as a treatment for MS that I know of. Not even studies that i know about. I think this is still in the theoretical space.

Regards,
Looking88
Looking88
Family Member

Post by Looking88 »

That was a good article. I think it supports Tovaxin more than anything. Even though Tovaxin injects T-cells, the purpose is just to train the body to kill those types of T-cells. In the end, I think you get less T-cells.

This falls into line with my way of thinking: Get the B cells. B cells train the T cells to be bad. But if you can't get the B cells, then get the bad T cells.

I should mention: Before an hour ago I had never heard of Tovaxin. Gotta love the internet.

I should shut up now.

Regards,
Looking88
[/b]
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking88
Family Member

Post by Looking88 »

Thanks Lyon, that is a great link.
Sorry for the dely in respondng. I lost my internet access (actually, it is still down, but I found a backup).
It is too bad that when a company loses their funding all progress stops on a treatment. There should be something we can do about that.

If I may ask, am I correct in understanding that Tovaxin stopped your wife's MS?

Thanks,
Looking88