News about Opexa

A board to discuss Tcelna as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toasterpastery

Post by toasterpastery »

I suspect Opexa's stock price is getting crushed because they are about to do another round of fundraising. This happened the last time they sold shares. I would guess that they will try to raise another $20 million. This is going to be highly dilutive. It might double the number of shares outstanding. The stock is being crushed in anticipation. If you are considering buying then you just wait until the offering and buy afterwards. They will run out of money in the first half of next year so I suspect we will see something happen in Feb or March. The stock could jump a few bucks after the offering. If I remember correctly that's what happened last time.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
toasterpastery

Opexa... does it have the resources?

Post by toasterpastery »

This is interesting. It looks like Opexa just sold more stock to fund their operations. However, They only raised about 8 or $9m. This seems to be abount enough to take them through the end of Phase IIb but no further. Their stock price is now in the toilet. I am deepl concerned that they will have not enough money to pay for a phase III. A phase III might cost over $100M. I wonder if they will need to get bought or partner with someone else. This will all require great results from Phase IIb.

Chime in if anyone has any thoughts or shares similar concerns.
schnittke
Family Member

Post by schnittke »

Just to echo your concerns I can't imagine how OPEXA wil mangage to fund a 100M phase III trial when they are struggling to raise 8M or so to complete the phase IIb. .Obviously this an overly simplistic summary but it does seem worrisome for such a hopeful drug. Looks to me that either they have to raise major cash in nine months or they sell it.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toasterpastery

more financial info

Post by toasterpastery »

Actually I did some additional looking into Opexa's financials since the time of my last post and it's worse that I thought. They raised only about $6m in cash and they burn about $1m a month. Considering they had about a million or two in cash before raising the funds, this gives them about enough to get to the start of the 4th quarter.

They said that results of Phase 2b would be released in the 4th quarter. So this means that they need to raise money again just to produce phase 2b results. It's looking touch and go here. Not very reassuring.

You're correct that it seems unlikely that investors will pony up $100m+ to take this drug through Phase 3.

Again, should be interesting.

Return to “Tcelna (Tovaxin)”