If you already had your big blood draw

A board to discuss Tcelna as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
ssmme
Family Elder

If you already had your big blood draw

Post by ssmme »

I go in at 1pm EST today for the big blood draw. How do you feel afterwards? I used to give blood regularly but only weigh 107lbs. I've never had an issue giving but LifeBlood told me they were going to take the pint plus 20 vials. That equivocates to 1.5 pints. I'm used to giving a "blood light" which is less than a pint since my weight is under 115lbs. The blood draw hasn't caused anyone exacerbations has it?

I take vitamins and supplements and plan to eat a hearty meal afterwards (my fave is Liver and Onions from Big Boy - after giving blood is the only time I eat this). Anything else that I should consider to keep my energy from tanking even worse than normal?

I'm just trying to be proactive.

Marcia
Marcia
Sweetyhide
Family Member

Post by Sweetyhide »

I hope you had a big breakfest also!

I didn't have any issues, but I am not 107lbs anymore either.
Everyone always gasps at the large amount, it doesn't bother me at all. I actually was waiting for some drama to happen (dizzy, faint) but nadda.

I didn't remember hardly anything from the last blood draw. It was like a whole new experience this time. I told my coordinator I was sure I didn't sign a paper and have an iron test last time. She assurred me I did.
Where is my memory?

Good Luck!
~Sweety
Peace, Love and Potato Salad
JanethePain
Family Elder

Re: If you already had your big blood draw

Post by JanethePain »

ssmme wrote:I go in at 1pm EST today for the big blood draw. How do you feel afterwards? I used to give blood regularly but only weigh 107lbs. I've never had an issue giving but LifeBlood told me they were going to take the pint plus 20 vials. That equivocates to 1.5 pints. I'm used to giving a "blood light" which is less than a pint since my weight is under 115lbs. The blood draw hasn't caused anyone exacerbations has it?

I take vitamins and supplements and plan to eat a hearty meal afterwards (my fave is Liver and Onions from Big Boy - after giving blood is the only time I eat this). Anything else that I should consider to keep my energy from tanking even worse than normal?

I'm just trying to be proactive.

Marcia
I think a new point of protocol should have to be a true confession of too many Cheetos or dark chocolate and MUCH evidence thereof. :lol:
Jane the Pain
av8rgirl
Family Elder

Post by av8rgirl »

How did it go Marcia? I don't weigh much more than you and didn't have much problem with the procurement blood draw the first time. I just remember that I had to drink a lot of fluids afterwards because I was light headed...but I am a dizzy blonde most of the time anyway! LOL!

I hope it went well for you today.
“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
ssmme
Family Elder

Post by ssmme »

I had my big blood draw yesterday. I was a bit concerned at the beginning because the dude from LifeBlood was a bit preoccupied with losing his wallet in the taxi on his way to the procurement site. But it all went okay.

I'm pretty tired right now. I did NOT want to get up this morning and have been dragging but luckily I did get my kids to school on time. I know we're supposed to take it easy after giving that much blood but I had so many things to get done yesterday and alas, I think I'm paying for it. The chronic fatigue feels quadrupled today.

I didn't get to eat my Big Boy liver and onions yesterday afterwards but I think that's going to be lunch today.

On a different note, I got the pleasure to meet Mike Tucker (hmtucker is screen name) since our procurements were schedule one after the other and we talked for a few minutes. It's so nice to be able to put a face on the people who contribute to this site and to meet fellow ms'rs in person. HI MIKE!!!

Marcia
Marcia
hmtucker
Family Elder

Post by hmtucker »

ssmme wrote:On a different note, I got the pleasure to meet Mike Tucker (hmtucker is screen name)
Marcia,

It was great to meet both you and your husband! You're right putting faces to screen names is always great! Hopefully we'll be on the same schedule for our vaccinations as well.

All went well with my procurement although I was a little droopy for a couple of hours after. After I replenished with fluids though things were back to normal, more or less.

As for the LifeBlood guy, the cab company tracked down the cabbie and all of Jason's wallet stuff must have been in good order because the same cabbie volunteered to pick him up and take him back to the airport!

Take care,
Mike
ssmme
Family Elder

Post by ssmme »

I went for a couple of days feeling drained. I finally went to sleep Wednesday night around 10pm and slept till my husband woke me up at 1pm on Thursday. That's 15 hours of sleep and I still feel tired but I've been eating as well as I can to help boost my energy (crit level). Even after all that sleep I went to sleep at 10pm on Thursday nite and slept till 7am on Friday. I guess my body needed it. I feel somewhat better now but I'm still a little tired. I hope that after the real Tovaxin kicks in I'll actually go to sleep, get my 8 hours, and wake up refreshed. Is it a pipe dream or does anyone think it'll happen?

Marcia
Marcia
JanethePain
Family Elder

Post by JanethePain »

Hi, y'all! Jason "drained" me today and I'm REALLY lightheaded and tired as a result (or it could be that I came <--> this close to flunking that little "iron" test!). I have to agree with Mike and Marcia that Jason is absolutely nice as they come (SUPER guy) and a terrific professional (I have NO bruising and just the faintest stick-mark).

I have to hand it to the Opexa gang for sending us THE most charming people to get us through this scary stuff--or is it those charming Southern accents? :lol:

For those of you waiting to be "procured," you'll just love Jason. He's great!

Now to catch up on some rest and hope this rain eases up soon so I can enjoy some spring sunshine! :D
Jane the Pain
ssmme
Family Elder

Post by ssmme »

Jane,

Welcome to the "procured" rank.

Marcia
Marcia
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
av8rgirl
Family Elder

Post by av8rgirl »

Or Idaho where it's 93 degrees today! NOT! Too hot!

Glad you got procured! Gee that sounds a little naughty!

I have my next re-draw appt for June 27th...hope to make those little MRTCs..
“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford