Because work has been so all-consuming over the last few months, and my energy and time have been at a premium, I've been largely absent from my normal haunts, both virtual and non-virtual. I have been reading occasionally over the past few weeks, thanks to HEC hipping me to the death of our study. And at that point, I was so flustered/POd/bummed/confused that I really didn't know what to even say. So, in a rare fit of good thinking, I said nothing.
I share most of the feelings that have been shared here. While I'm upset that Opexa couldn't acquire funding to go forward, once their topline data rolled snake eyes and the economy and financial sector went to hell in a flaming hand basket, the writing was pretty much on the wall. I was not and am not surprised.
While I'm upset, I'm not angry that they didn't pull the plug earlier. I understand how this has screwed some people who were on placebo last year (sorry Lars!), but I don't see how they had any choice. They presented at the conference on the 11th and obviously didn't rope anybody in and after that, they pretty much didn't have any choice. But as a business owner, I'd say that I wouldn't pull the plug on something until I absolutely, positively had to. The stakes here are obviously very high. And if funding had come through, then we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.
My nurse called me on Tuesday morning the 25th, and was almost in tears. I ended the call feeling more sorry for her because her empathy for all of us was so great. My doc had waited a day to call all of us while they tried to get answers from the Independent Review Board who I guess were swamped with calls from PO'd doctors and nurses. What I was told was that Opexa told their docs that there would be no cash for exit interviews, or anything else for that matter, unless a patient was going into the hospital within the next 24 hours. So any exit interviews or appointments would be on the doctor's dime. Nice.
My first OLTERMS shot was originally scheduled for the Friday after Thanksgiving, but the doc's office was closed that day and I was to be out of town anyway. We scheduled it for 12/19, so I'll keep my appointment and see what we can see. I have no clue what I'll do, but the CRABs have no appeal to me whatever. I need to get off my ass and start working out again and get out of my office desk chair more than I do, so that's a good place to start. Guess we'll see what else is out there that I might fit into. Haven't had a shot in nearly a year now, so maybe I can squeak in somewhere.
I'll let you guys know what I decide and I will definitely keep checking in. Though I've been absent, you have all been on my mind a lot lately and so I'm around in spirit if not in virtual body and am always eager to read what's going on with all of you.
Hang in there everybody!