Tysabri and the flu shot.

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
TWG
Family Elder

Tysabri and the flu shot.

Post by TWG »

At my last infusion they asked if I wanted the annual flu shot. A different nurse said that I should not because tysabri would cause the flu shot to be useless. Biogen said they had no data. I also heard to wait 2 weeks after the infusion to receive the flu shot. Finally I was told to ask my neurologist, she said not to get one. Anyone else get a solid answer?
Diagnosed with MS in Feb. 14 2000! Was a Tovaxin guinea pig.
gymbuff
Family Elder

Post by gymbuff »

Hi TWG,

I am getting my 38th Tysabri infusion next week (3 Years) and have got the flu vaccine each year. I was never told not to get it and I have nvere got the flu, not even a mild dose or 'man flu'. Is it useless or not? I works for me.
Pink2010

Post by Pink2010 »

I was told last year the flu shot was fine as long as we keep it 14 days out from next infusion. This year I kept it 14 days exactly out. I did not have a problem.
TWG
Family Elder

Post by TWG »

Last infusion was October 8, next is November 19.. I had one last year and was no big deal. I just can't afford to get the flu. Since I got answers all over the board, I just chose to do it, the flu would literally knock me off my feet!
Diagnosed with MS in Feb. 14 2000! Was a Tovaxin guinea pig.