Infusion versus medication

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis

Infusion versus medication

Postby kda » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 am

Anthem BC/BS will only cover $5k a year on my prescription Avonex. It costs around $3k a month!! I am noticing online that this is also true for other people on medications. However, I have noticed that people who choose the infusion route are fully covered??? Can this be?
kda

Advertisement

Re: Infusion versus medication

Postby NHE » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:06 am

kda wrote:Anthem BC/BS will only cover $5k a year on my prescription Avonex. It costs around $3k a month!! I am noticing online that this is also true for other people on medications. However, I have noticed that people who choose the infusion route are fully covered??? Can this be?

I don't know about the ifusion vs. injection question, but I do know that Biogen has a financial assistance program available for people with low incomes and/or low insurance coverage. Check their website or call them for details. http://www.avonex.com

NHE
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby kda » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:52 am

Oh, yes, I'm well aware of Biogen's financial aid dept. They are wonderful people to talk to, but they can't help me. I have a prescription drug coverage cap of $5000. through Anthem BC/BS. Avonex is $2800. a month, so $5000. doesn't get me very far. I fall into the under-insured category--the worst place to be!!! I have talked to several other agencies and they all have a similar answer - cap = can't help.

I really appreciate your response. I am new to discussing my condition and it's good to get it out!

thanks.
kda

Return to Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)