Tysabri antibodie positive.

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
Bender
Family Elder

Tysabri antibodie positive.

Post by Bender »

I'm in the states and it seems like the doctors here are saying this means I have to come off Tysabri. I see references to a lot of our British members having a steroid booster with each infusion, is this to manage an allergy to Tysabri, are people able to continue taking it when they have developed antibodies to it there?
JJT

Re: Tysabri antibodie positive.

Post by JJT »

IV steroids and/or Benadryl are often given prior to infusion to avoid allergic reaction to Tysabri.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Bender wrote:I'm in the states and it seems like the doctors here are saying this means I have to come off Tysabri. I see references to a lot of our British members having a steroid booster with each infusion, is this to manage an allergy to Tysabri, are people able to continue taking it when they have developed antibodies to it there?
If your system has developed anti-bodies to Tysabri, then you have no choice but to quit the medication. Those anti-bodies make the drug useless for you and continuing to take it would be bad news for your health. Taking steroids won't help the situation at all.
Bender
Family Elder

Post by Bender »

Thanks for the info, it looks like I'm moving on to Avonex.