Tysabri antibodie positive.

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis

Tysabri antibodie positive.

Postby Bender » Fri May 04, 2012 9:50 am

I'm in the states and it seems like the doctors here are saying this means I have to come off Tysabri. I see references to a lot of our British members having a steroid booster with each infusion, is this to manage an allergy to Tysabri, are people able to continue taking it when they have developed antibodies to it there?
Bender
Family Elder

Advertisement

Re: Tysabri antibodie positive.

Postby JJT » Sat May 05, 2012 6:32 am

IV steroids and/or Benadryl are often given prior to infusion to avoid allergic reaction to Tysabri.
JJT

Postby HarryZ » Sun May 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Bender wrote:I'm in the states and it seems like the doctors here are saying this means I have to come off Tysabri. I see references to a lot of our British members having a steroid booster with each infusion, is this to manage an allergy to Tysabri, are people able to continue taking it when they have developed antibodies to it there?

If your system has developed anti-bodies to Tysabri, then you have no choice but to quit the medication. Those anti-bodies make the drug useless for you and continuing to take it would be bad news for your health. Taking steroids won't help the situation at all.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Postby Bender » Tue May 15, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for the info, it looks like I'm moving on to Avonex.
Bender
Family Elder

Return to Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)