PML info in regards to MS treatment

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
CureOrBust
Family Elder

PML info in regards to MS treatment

Post by CureOrBust »

http://www.ccjm.org/content/78/Suppl_2/S33.full

A bit of info regarding PML and how it relates to MS patients on Tysabri. It may all be well know, but5 it answered a few of my own questions so I thought I would share.
KMG
Getting to Know You...

Re: PML info in regards to MS treatment

Post by KMG »

Very helpful thank you. Since Tysabri cessation 20 months ago I have had symptom progression month after month. I have gone from playing tennis and running to full time cane use with difficulty. I'm considering a return to Tysabri as it managed my MS well for almost 4 years. I stopped treatment because I had slight symptom progression and JCV positive. AHSCT and 20 months later I'm still progressing.

From the data in this article it appears my chances of PML are 1:94 based on my history. Not great odds but could be better than the alternative IF Tysabri is successful stabilizing my MS or improving EDSS. To date I'm unable to find any information regarding efficacy of either after a Tysabri "holiday".

Although Biogen takes a beating I must say they were responsive to my inquiry related to risk of PML and discussing my case with me and my Neurologist. I had responses and follow up from people at a Director level. It did take two attempts but I did get through.

Thank you again.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Although Biogen takes a beating I must say they were responsive to my inquiry related to risk of PML and discussing my case with me and my Neurologist. I had responses and follow up from people at a Director level. It did take two attempts but I did get through.

Thank you again.
Mention the word "PML" to Biogen as it relates to Tysabri and you will get their attention immediately!! It is the biggest reason that expected sales of the drug have never come close to estimates.

Harry
KMG
Getting to Know You...

Post by KMG »

Mention the word "PML" to Biogen as it relates to Tysabri and you will get their attention immediately!! It is the biggest reason that expected sales of the drug have never come close to estimates.
They were clear that I had been off Natalizumab for almost 2 years so PML risk was not the reason they responded. I'm considering resuming Tysabri and that's why they called ($50k/year) in new revenue.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

KMG wrote:
They were clear that I had been off Natalizumab for almost 2 years so PML risk was not the reason they responded. I'm considering resuming Tysabri and that's why they called ($50k/year) in new revenue.
$ 50k a year gives them even more incentive than PML!!

Harry
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Harry wrote:Mention the word "PML" to Biogen as it relates to Tysabri and you will get their attention immediately!! It is the biggest reason that expected sales of the drug have never come close to estimates.
The reason I passed on the offer of this med was the PML but ALSO the unexplained/uncontrolled rebound and stopping treatment.
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

CureOrBust wrote:http://www.ccjm.org/content/78/Suppl_2/S33.full

A bit of info regarding PML and how it relates to MS patients on Tysabri. It may all be well know, but5 it answered a few of my own questions so I thought I would share.
Thanks, Cure. The article was very informative, but the quote that struck me most was finding out that there was danger even after 6 infusions of Tysabri:
Natalizumab-associated PML has not been observed with therapy of 6 months’ or less duration. After 6 months of natalizumab therapy, new MRI lesions are rare in patients who are negative for neutralizing antibodies. A new MRI lesion in such a patient should be considered suspicious for PML. Our standard protocol is to check for neutralizing antibodies at 6 months in all patients treated with natalizumab. Symptoms of PML develop in affected patients whose duration of therapy ranges from 6 to 81 infusions. Symptoms often develop well before PML is diagnosed.4,5
Check out the sentences I made bold. 8O
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

the quote that struck me most was finding out that there was danger even after 6 infusions of Tysabri:
This is the kind of info that Biogen doesn't publicize for obvious reasons. One can also come down with PML even if you test negative for the JC Virus. Tysabri is one very powerful drug that alters the way your immune system works. While some patients avoid the serious problems, others can encounter all kinds of issues.

Harry