tysabri and trying to conceive

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
bess74k

Post by bess74k »

Hello everyone I am new to the site although i have been lingering for the past few months reading the forums.

I have a question maybe you could shed some light. My husband has MS and started taking tysabri he had his 4th infusion this month. He had a reaction to the infusion..chills.....and then they gave him bendryl after they called his neurologist...which made the chills go away. The doc said he was having an allergic reaction to the med and might have to come off of it but would find out more and call us.. I told him how I read on this forum how some people get benadryl prior to the infusion..maybe that would help...he said he would get back to us. Thoughts?

Hmm let me back up..monday my DH had his doc appt. and I happen to mention something about us trying to conceive and the doctor freaked out and said stop trying......hello? I had asked him if we could ttc this summer and he gave us the go-ahead. when he prescribed tysabri i assumed since i was not pregnant that we were still ok.
I am 34 dh is 37 and we have no children. We cleared it thru him this summer and now he says stop. So i asked him to find out if we can try or not from the company so he tells me i can call which is fine so i do . Tysabri tells me they have no info on the subject only if a womand is ttc to stop the medicine for atleast a month and the guy says well since your not the one taking it i guess you shouls be ok? So i tell this to the doctor the next day Tues which is when DH was getting the infusion and the doc came to visit because of the allergic reaction and he says to me they have no info...just stop ttc...and we will see ina month?

Does anyone here have any info or know anyone in my situation that has more info?

We would have waited for my DH to start the tysabri had we known prior. It's not like im in my 20s and have time to wait. Ugh! im very frustated and scared about this matter.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I hope you get this resolved. I doubt that him taking it would be of any concern, but I'm not a doctor. By the way, what is DH? The only thing I know that to be is designated hitter!
bess74k

Post by bess74k »

DH= dear husband

Thank you for replying. I have only found that tysabri is category c--i guess means that when they lab tested rats some abnormalities affected the fetus. No human tests. The tysabri was injected into female lab rats.

I cannot find any info on what effect the male sperm would have.
Don't you think my husbands doctor should be on the phone with biogen? I think they would give him more info than me.
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I would call and have your doctor call and see if you get the same story. I think they would let you know anything that could be potentially harmful.
cilla

Post by cilla »

Has anyone heard anything further on this? My husband takes tysabri and we are going to try and conceive. We'll talk with the doctor about what to do first, but it seems like there is not much info out there on whether he can continue taking tysabri while we are trying to conceive.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

You can go to this site and see exactly what a "category C" label is for a drug:

http://www.fda.gov/Cder/handbook/categc.htm

Lori