alcohol ;)

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
belge
Getting to Know You...

alcohol ;)

Post by belge »

hi everyone!
i've received my 4th tys infusion - the last 2 went fine and I felt my walking was improving though now I have the feeling it got slightly worse after the last infusion and I sometimes have mild headaches and mild feelings of nausea. I got scared it could be PML, i am a little paranoid... but my neuro does not seem to think it could be connected though she will still do a MR, just in case ;)
Anyway, I am happy if it doesn't get worse!

however, I have another, probably bizarre question: how do you deal with alcohol? I mean, do you drink at all? And do you smoke? maybe cannabis? I heard that cannabis can help ease the symptoms of MS?! I mean, I don't drink too much though I do a few glasses a few times / week. As for cigarettes, I did never really smoke and now I sometimes smoke 1 - 5 cigarettes/week max but they really worsen my walking, balance, tremors in my hands so I rarely do. and cannabis, I don't really smoke, however, I was wondering if anyone knows if cannabis has any interactions with tysabri. I am sorry, I know these are silly questions but I would be really interested in hearing what you think.

and I wanted to say tnx because reading this forum sort of comforts me when I get scared and anxious!

hope we will all hang on being strong and happy for a long time!

xxx
Lainie
Family Member

Post by Lainie »

I avoid alcohol when I am "out" (at a restaurant or friend's house) because it makes my balance and coordination worse than it already is. I do drink at home, though, mostly wine.

I don't know if marijuana interacts with Tysabri - I bet there are NO studies about this, unfortunately.
superman
Family Member

Post by superman »

From what i read majinua isn't that great, i mean the one you buy illegally, since it is quite often mixed with other "random" products.
canabis can be good when administered by chemists who know exactly what they give you.
Smoking cigarettes is simply bad.
About alcohol i do think it was so bad, i mean as long as it doesn't become an addiction. :wink:
belge
Getting to Know You...

Post by belge »

yes, I try to avoid alcohol when i'm out too - same balance issues ;) + bladder problems as well. i can manage up to 2-3 glasses of wine.
anyway, tnx for your replies! have a nice holiday season!
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

canabis can be good when administered by chemists who know exactly what they give you.
Smoking cigarettes is simply bad.
MJ can be ingested by mixing it with food...you get the same effects but it takes longer than by smoking it...which of course isn't good for the lungs.

Harry
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I smoke MJ and there are no interactions with Tysabri. You don't need to get your marijuana from the government for it to be any good. I mean, really, what else do they do better than the populace? You can get great weed and shitty weed without an Rx, you just have to know where to look. Basically don't buy it from anyone you don't know. That's too risky anyway. And when it's nothing but plant buds, there isn't a chance to 'mix' anything in with it. I wouldn't buy a bag full of loose weed ever anyway. It helps me with many symptoms, but it does make my legs weaker, so I only smoke it in the evenings.
belge
Getting to Know You...

Post by belge »

hey, tnx! I agree that the thing is to get "pure" weed which can be done - and it certainly is better than some stuff the doctors might give u, I think. and yeah, it does make my legs more "wobbly" - the same as cigarettes - so it's certainly better to smoke in the evening (and certainly more fun since I have to go to the office during the day ;)
anyway, I really appreciate your replies - it's much easier to know I'm not alone :)

Return to “Tysabri (Antegren, Natalizumab)”