Tysabri in the UK :{

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
JFH
Family Elder

Tysabri in the UK :{

Post by JFH »

Well maybe :( depends on your point of view - see other threads!

NICE's web site tells us this about this treatment.
Natalizumab for the treatment of multiple sclerosis

Scope Draft scope for consultation: October 2005
Appraisal Status Pending
Final Scope published 21 November 2005
Information meeting for consultees W/C 30 January 2006
Closing date for invited submissions 29 March 2006
First Appraisal Committee Meeting 6 September 2006
Second Appraisal Committee Meeting 1 November 2006
Expected Date of Issue April 2007

To e-mail NICE on this topic Sarah.Cumbers@nice.nhs.uk
Technology Appraisal Project Manager Dr Sarah Cumbers
Executive Lead Andrew Dillon
Technical Lead To be confirmed
Communications Manager To be confirmed
Assessment Group Southampton Health Technology Assessment Centre (SHTAC), University of Southampton

Project History 17 August 2004 Topic summary published.
My emphasis. Guess there'll be some jolly good data by then :)
I have emailled Dr Cumbers asking if there is any change given the FDA fasttrack approval. I'll post her reply here. http://www.nice.org.uk/page.aspx?o=207025

There is no current statement from UKMSSoc this one is from the Chief Executive Mike O’Donovan responding to the leaked stories earlier this month:
It is highly encouraging to see such a marked effect on reducing relapses and we are keenly looking forward to the full results of the trial, which is also looking at the potential for the drug to slow the progress of disability.
I look forward to his statement saying that the Society will press for an immediate advancement of the NICE programme. There's a longer article but saying nothing new http://www.mssociety.org.uk/news_events ... sults.html

A search of the European Medicines Agency's web site showed nothing for Tysabri nor Antegren nor Natalizumab. UKMSSoc suggest that it is this body that approves a drug for use in the EU (hence UK). Anyone know if this is so? http://www.emea.eu.int/
John
I am what I am
raven
Family Elder

Post by raven »

John,
2 months ago I spoke with a professor of clinical neuroscience about Antegren (Tysabri). I was told that as soon as FDA approval was granted, he would be able to prescribe in the UK. I guess that whether you will be able to get a prescription within the UK will depend upon the old postcode lottery until NICE comes up with a definitive statement.

I have another appointment with him in January. I will put the question to him directly at that time and try to get a complete answer.

Robin
stsolakos
Family Member

Judea's People Front or People Front of Judea?

Post by stsolakos »