Tysabri and Optic Neuritis?

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis

Tysabri and Optic Neuritis?

Postby paulaviza » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:14 pm

Just went and got second opinion for recurrent ON today (Had 2-3 attacks on ON (rt eye only) in the past 6 months). F47, No other physical symptoms or MRI leisions (2 sets taken, brain and spine 6 months apart). Also had one round of iv streoids 2 months ago. Vision returned soso, not great / washed out colors.

This 2nd MS Dr said to start on Thysabri next month, ASAP.
From what i read on the new drug, seems to make sense.
First MS Dr. kinda had wait and see attitude for several/6 more months (no CDMS or other dx), no treatment recommended for now.
What do you think?

Will it do anything to prevent another attack of ON, or help repair an existing attack?? Probably no one knows. Better to take than not take and wish one did? Seems to be that helped 5 yr old kid in recent study?

Please respond
Thanks, Sue and Paul
paulaviza

Postby wilson » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:18 am

Hiya.

I was ds a year ago and ao I am kinda of new too. MS is tricky but there is one thing you can count on is that the disease is unpredictable.

My brother suffered from Optic Neuritis seven years ago. After awhile, his sight cleared up on its own and he hasn't had an attack since. Doctors didnt think it was MS but an unknown neurological disorder caused by a bacterial infection.

So, my question is: Are your sure it is MS? Many other diseases mimic MS like symptoms (Chrohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, Lyme's disease)
wilson
Family Member

Postby paulaviza » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:26 am

Realize its tricky / read a lot in last 6 months

Re: Brother, never read anything to suggest that ON was caused by anything other than virus

Are we sure it's ms: in a word no, but dr says he even though no lesions, has feeling it my be underlying, other stuff ruled out.
paulaviza

ON and MS

Postby Seacoast » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:53 pm

Hi there,
I was ds with MS in Aug. of 1987 (MRI), but I did not have vision trouble until fall of 1995 when I experienced sharp pain in my left eye with a 24 hr./7 days a week headach. Each day I started seeing a gray spot in a corner of my eye and it kept spreading until gray went to black and I was blind in that eye for about 2 months. Wasn't on any meds. at the time. They ruled out everything else it could be and was left with ON from MS. It is common. Vision came back gradually over time (a few more months), on it's own. I now have an eye Dr. that specializes in auto immune diseases. He explained that an eye Doc. can tell by the nerves in the eyes and a 'pale' color of 'something or other', and the blood vessels behind the eye when MS is 'alive and well' in a person. Even before other symptoms surface for us. He has special digital photos of mine and keeps track for any changes. I can see on the photo the difference between my 2 eyes, and interestingly enough, even though the pain and blindness occured in the left eye, more damage was in the RIGHT eye, which he knew that before even looking in them. That was probably an assult from the MS when I was growing up and had severe headachs.

Seacoast :)
...The sky is NOT the limit,
nor are the stars.......
Seacoast

Return to Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)