Anyone had itching, hives while on Tysabri?

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
Lainie
Family Member

Anyone had itching, hives while on Tysabri?

Post by Lainie »

I have noticed about two weeks after my last infusion (I have been on Tysabri for 2 years) that my forearms are very itchy, and there are some hive-like bumps (but no redness). I'm interested in hearing from anyone else who has had these side-effects. How was it treated? (I'm calling my neuro's office tomorrow.)
dreddk
Family Elder

Post by dreddk »

Hi Lainie

My wife has been on tysabri for nearly a year and developed these two infusions back. (Hives and weaziness). She has taken a prednisone and an anti-histamine prior to her infusion which has dramatically reduced the reaction.

My understanding is this could be indicative of developing antibodies to ms but these in the most cases are transient so we are continuing with the expectation that it will subside.

I understand that you can test for antibodies in the USA but cant in NZ. Our neurolgist thought it pointless anyway if transient.

Hope this helps!

Dreddk
OregonMom
Getting to Know You...

Post by OregonMom »

Yes.

I had some itching, and some hives, just a few here and there. Nothing I worried about. They started after about month 8.

Then I developed eosinophilia. My Eo's kept going up... 14%, 20%, 30%... and the Tysabri was discontinued. : (

My bloodwork is normal now.

Except that now I also have rheumatoid arthritis. I didn't before.

No way any of this can be blamed on Tysabri, of course. I've certainly never heard of anyone else getting eosinophilia or RA because of Ty. But... I gotta say I am very wary of trying any other MS meds. Burned out for now.
sou
Family Elder

Post by sou »

IIRC, eosinophilia is a marker of severe (or not-so-severe) allergic reaction. What did your doc say about its cause?

RA is characterized by elevated TNF-alpha and interferon gamma blood concentraions, and this situation is typical for Ty users. I don't blame Ty for RA, but it must have definitely contributed to it.

sou
OregonMom
Getting to Know You...

Post by OregonMom »

sou wrote:IIRC, eosinophilia is a marker of severe (or not-so-severe) allergic reaction. What did your doc say about its cause?
There's no way to know for certain. Eosinophilia isn't a reaction that is as immediate as anaphylactic shock.

But we stopped the Tysabri, and the eo's went away. We (me, the doctors) had to assume it was the cause.

And the RA, I just don't know. In all likelihood that's probably just a coincidence. A big, nasty, *painful* coincidence. No answers here about that.