Anyone considering a port for infusions?

A board to discuss the newly-released drug Tysabri, (formerly known as Antegren) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis

Anyone considering a port for infusions?

Postby MichelleMM » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:25 am

Hi, Just wondering if anyone was considering a port for the Tysabri infusions. Any long term infusion will be hard on the veins after time and I spoke to a vascular surgeon who recommends it. Any insight?
MichelleMM
Family Member

nurse suggested it was not needed with good veins

Postby batpere » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:47 pm

The nurse who did my infusion told me about the port and asked if I wanted one. I asked more about it, and she said it was only needed for people with hard-to-find veins or who got poked a lot. She said I had well-anchored veins (that don't move around a lot), and there were several long, straight stretches. She looked and tapped for a few minutes and was making me nervous, but she said she was just being careful to pick the best one available and that there were several good candidates. I was going to ask a doctor about a port. It would be nice if the port made it easier to do the home infusions, although I wondered if it had any components that would want to move around during an MRI. That would rule it out for sure. If I do have monthly infusions for the rest of my life, it would be good, but hopefully a cure or just-as-good oral method will surface during this decade.
batpere
Family Member

Return to Tysabri (Antegren or Natalizumab)