How to get diagnosed in the early stages / at a young age.

A forum dedicated to the younger people living with MS reflecting their unique concerns.
CMcE

How to get diagnosed in the early stages / at a young age.

Post by CMcE »

Lately, I've noticed my legs have been jumpy and twitchy. I googled it out of boredom, and when ms came up, I was drawn to it because my aunt has it. I've experienced blurred vision. I used to have phenomenal vision. Now I can't read things I used to be able to. It comes and goes. I'm always exhausted. Even if I get twelve hours of sleep, I'll come home from school and fall asleep over homework. I've stopped taking showers because they exhaust me so much I can't stand (don't worry, I switched to baths. I'm still hygienic, aha). But scariest was about five days where I was so exhausted. I can't explain it, it was like a tiredness that went beyond mere physical reasons. I asked my boyfriend to come over because I was so unsteady I was afraid I'd fall and hit my head.

So I think I have it. I know my body well and I've gotten numerous injuries/illnesses in the past year and I wasn't wrong about a single one. My question is, how do I get diagnosed? I've only had one episode (if it was that) and I think it might be too early for lesions to appear. On the other hand, I keep reading about how important prompt treatment is. Will they take a 17 year old seriously? What tests can I have done?

Thank you for your help, any is appreciated.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: How to get diagnosed in the early stages / at a young ag

Post by NHE »

CMcE wrote:So I think I have it. I know my body well and I've gotten numerous injuries/illnesses in the past year and I wasn't wrong about a single one. My question is, how do I get diagnosed?
Welcome to ThisIsMS. I can understand how, since you have a family member with MS, that you might think that you also have MS. However, getting diagnosed with MS isn't all it's cracked up to be. It would be best for you to see a doctor, if you haven't already. I would recommend writing down all of your symptoms so that you don't miss anything during your appointment. You could have any number of problems, many of which are actually treatable.

NHE
DougL
Family Elder

Re: How to get diagnosed in the early stages / at a young ag

Post by DougL »

Welcome. if you have access to doctors, that is who you need to see.

you asked if they would take you seriously at the young age of 17 . Look until you find one who will take you seriously.

sorry for your troubles. i hope you get some answers soon.