Had to go to ER again last night

A forum dedicated to the younger people living with MS reflecting their unique concerns.
luke082988

Had to go to ER again last night

Post by luke082988 »

Back in April 17th, I had went to the ER due to squeezing in my waist really bad, like right under your stomach and above your private parts. It started tolerable on a Monday, but by Wednesday night I was hurting so bad that I couldn't get any relief. They gave me pain meds then, and sent me home. I talked to my neuro, which he said to come off of Rebif, but MS Lifelines AND my primary care doctor told me not too, that it was a symptom of MS, and not of Rebif which is the MS meds I'm currently taking (just took my 4th 44mcg shot today btw) which later my neuro agreed with them. Well, the pain did go away eventually around April 23rd.

This past Wednesday evening around 5pm, I started hurting in my waist again, this time with a major headache. I missed church, and went to sleep around 7pm and woke up around 930pm, and then couldn't sleep until 4am. Woke up around 1030am, and still in pain. I did take Motrin and Tylenol the day before but it didn't help. I called my neuro and left a message with the nurse asap, and he never did. So around 630pm, I called my primary care doctors emergency number, and left a message. He called me within 10 minutes, and said the best thing to do was go to an ER. So I did.

This time though, they gave me medicine that took the pain away, but I was really sore. The pain this time I forgot to mention was the squeezing of my waist, along with my entire legs were tense and twitching and hurting, along with my lower back. The pain hurt even worse when I walked. Which when the hospital doctor touched my lower back, it was more tender than everything else. I was in so much pain until after they gave me the meds, and then I was just sore for the rest of the night.

They sent me home with a prescription of Predizone as a steriod to take for 5 days, and Tramadol. I went to sleep last night around 2am and woke up at 1pm today. I was sore for most of the day, and laid down on the couch mostly. Then as the day progressed, the pain started to come back in my lower back, I felt the squeezing but it's not as bad as it was. I've took my meds already for the night.

The hospital doc said that maybe it could be possible a disk in my back is whats causing this, or a symptom of the MS. He was a much older doc than I had last time. Plus they did like 10 x-rays on me when I was there, but he said they didn't show anything wrong and the blood work was fine. I'm not sure why this is happening again, but it was a much worse experience than last time.

What I feel right now is some pain in my waist, more in the back than the front, and my legs feel really tighter than normal, esp my knees hurts. Almost feels like I've ran a marathon.

My neurologist finally called me today at 545pm. I told him what happened and he thinks it was a MS Hug and to take the meds prescribed and lets see what happens. What is so weird is that exactly one month apart this pain has happened.

I'm not sure what to do, but I feel as though as the bad pain is coming back. What do you suggest I do?
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Had to go to ER again last night

Post by lyndacarol »

luke082988 wrote:What do you suggest I do?
Since I know that excess insulin leads to insulin resistance in muscle cells, I believe your muscle tightness, "squeezing" feeling, and later soreness are the result of development of this insulin resistance. Insulin is known to thicken and stiffen muscles.

You seem to have a caring PCP; at least, he responds more quickly than your neurologist. I urge you to ask your primary care physician to order a "fasting blood insulin test" – this is NOT the same as a glucose test. The optimal result of the insulin test is 3 UU/ML or lower. (Every person with the MS diagnosis that I know who has had a properly performed insulin test has had a result above 9. My first insulin test was 12 UU/ML; every later test since then has been no lower than 9.)
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"

Return to “Under 25 with MS”