23 Years Old, Scared

A forum dedicated to the younger people living with MS reflecting their unique concerns.
Becca5766
Getting to Know You...

Re: 23 Years Old, Scared

Post by Becca5766 »

It definitely is a horrible winter here! And im always open to advice. I recently got my IUD Paraguard inserted for birth control so exercising has hurt the past week...with the cold snap we've been having I haven't really been walking outside or I would go for a nice walk. Does anyone know some easy yoga techniques that won't be painful? Such as minimal cardio and good stretching that won't cramp me up until I adjust to my IUD?

That's definitely another interesting bit of information. I was on depovera previously for a year which more than likely depleted most of my vitamin D on top of environmental causes. I have some OJ and oranges stocked in my fridge to eat and drink with my medication and supplements to help absorb it all better (:
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Becca5766 wrote:Update: got my ms diagnosis. They did all the blood work you suggested (the homocysteine, Hcy, and methylmalonic acid, MMA, tests) all looked normal. I don't have a b12 deficiency, thought my PCP did a vitamin D check but they apparently didn't so my neuro did, I'm at a 15 and now will be taking 5,000 ius with a multivitamin. The doctor showed me the MRI and my lesions, all which are where MS only attacks so a spinal was not done.

I'm choosing to go on tecfidera and if that fails I will be on rebif. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the support.
You may wish to read through the posts on the Tecfidera forum. http://www.thisisms.com/forum/tecfidera ... arate-f52/ Many people struggle with the side effects and there are tips discussed on how to make it easier on your stomach.

In addition, your neurologist should keep a close watch on your CD8+ T cells. If your cell count gets too low, then it can put you at risk for PML which can be more disabling then MS.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/tecfidera ... ml#p232534
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

unfortunately, although oranges are great, they are not likely to do a ton of good where your mineral requirements and associated vit d3 interactions are concerned.

oranges do not appear on this list of healthy food magnesium sources http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... #foodchart
or on this list of healthy dietary zinc sources http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... #foodchart

might be wise to do some math on your multi and on your food to make sure you're matching that 5000 IU d3 supplemental intake. on the plus side, it did take a couple years for me to screw myself up to the point that i thought i was going to die! so you have lots of time to build up preventative measures.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

As I have said previously, most with MS do extremely well through diet, exercise, supplements, medication and lifestyle change. Yet some do well doing nothing. And others try everything and do poorly. You can't go wrong by doing everything possible to be as healthy as possible.

Read as much as you can and make choices that fit your lifestyle best. I strongly recommend The Wahls Protocol book which is quite complete and touches on many aspects of what a person can do to improve their overall health, not just diet. There are many other popular MS books. And of course a lot of information on this site and on the web. All offer their own unique perspectives. Hopefully you will take the time to read many of the books and articles. There is a lot of info to sort out. And whenever you find a positive article on something, you will likely find negative ones as well. You will have to sort through them all and make choices that you feel will fit your lifestyle best. There are many MS diets which all seem to work for some. Some are very different from others yet they all seem to work. There are many, many supplements available. Some say take supplements, others say they are not necessary if you are eating the right foods. Few will disagree on the importance of exercise. Not all agree on taking medication or medication choices. The most important lifestyle change you can make is to eliminate all stresses.

You can feel great and have excellent quality of life if you decide to do so. It is up to you. It is your choice.