What is the progression?

A forum dedicated to the younger people living with MS reflecting their unique concerns.
LiquidSkin
Family Member

What is the progression?

Post by LiquidSkin »

I mean Im 21, What are the stages, do I have 10 years before I have serious issues with my disease, do I have 1 year?
How do I know if I am a mild case or if I really need to worry?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi, i'm not under 25, but this is not a terribly active thread - luckily! so, to get you a response: what's happened so far? sadly, it is different for each patient. in the best case scenario it could clear up altogether. i considered my dx episode a big wake-up call to start making some changes and taking nutrition more seriously. it's a learning curve, but i'm getting better all the time over the last two years. it's a bit of an up and down process because i'm treating myself not taking drugs, but i don't feel as if i will have an out-and-out relapse. the best thing is to stay as positive and in charge as you can without stressing out too much over things that have not happened yet. it's tough to do when the news is fresh, but this site helps, and reading tons of stuff to get yourself informed is good too :)
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

Dear Liquid skin, my symptoms started when I was around 16 yo. In med school, I had more symptoms but no one could prove the diagnosis. My teacher said: ' you have symptoms, so what' meaning just get on with your life. I am now 50 yo. , have had three kids and have a busy practice. I took no meds because I had very few flare ups. I now walk with a cane outside the home.
I can tell you all this now but at the time, there was no way of knowing what the disease had in store for me. It is the same unknown for everyone. I think the best think is to eliminate your stress and stays positive and concentrate on the things you CAN do. Good luck, Carole
hlm286
Family Elder

Post by hlm286 »

Carole,
Your response was so uplifting, thank you! I am newly diagnosed, still very numb in my torso, back and left arm, and am scared but trying to be brave. Your response "focus on what you CAN do" hit home. Also your story gives me hope. Thanks. :)