New to Forum - Is this MS?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.

New to Forum - Is this MS?

Postby Kzimm » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum, however, I have been reading posts for the last few weeks and find it so useful and informative. I thought I'd reach out and share the strange symptoms I've been experiencing to see if I can get some advice.

I've been experiencing some strange neurological symptoms in the last few months. In August I noticed that I had a slight numb patch on my lower left left and my left forearm. I could still feel sensations just fine, but it definitely felt...odd. "Slightly numb" is really the best way I can describe it. I scheduled a doctor's appointment with my GP when I first noticed this as I was about to get married and didn't want to worry about it over my wedding/honeymoon. I passed his strength tests and neurological tests just fine. He said to keep an eye on it and if it didn't improve, to call a neurologist when I got back from my honeymoon. I had a physical back in May where I had blood tests and they were all fine, so he didn't feel the need to redo these.

I went on my honeymoon, etc and didn't notice anything weird, but when I came back in the second week of September, my muscles started twitching in different areas for a few seconds at a time, the slight numbness came back but moved around to different areas (sometimes the first areas mentioned, other times in patches on my knees). This slight numbness comes and goes. I've also noticed a bit of a stabbing pain in my hands and feet intermittently, which comes and goes also and isn't too painful. If I rub the area, it seems to go away. Sometimes I also experience a slight buzzing in my feet, which comes and goes. Then, two weeks ago, I noticed a lot of floaters in my left eye - every time I moved my eye, it was sort of like a wave of floaters (sort of looks like gel in my eye). I went to an Opthalmologist right away (I have a family history of eye problems, so I take these things seriously) who dilated my eyes, checked my eye pressure, and said they were totally fine and that sometimes floaters just happen. I've also noticed intermittent ringing in my left ear recently.

But other than that, I feel okay - I walk to work and back (2 miles round trip) without a problem and don't feel fatigued. I eat pretty healthy as well. I do have some issues with anxiety (I had a ton of anxiety pre-wedding, so initially I thought my symptoms were due to this). I still feel pretty anxious after the wedding and have been working a lot. Sometimes I feel like I'm struggling to breathe, like it's an effort almost, and I'm not sure if that's a symptom or just anxiety.

Also, I should add, I was diagnosed with Lyme disease when I was 8. It was a mild case and I was treated for it and since haven't had any problems. I'm wondering if any of these symptoms are connected to it though.

Not sure if I should see a neurologist or if I should just wait and see if things improve. But the worrying isn't helping at all.

Thank you for reading this and I really appreciate this forum and the insight it offers.
Kzimm

Advertisement

Re: New to Forum - Is this MS?

Postby lyndacarol » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Welcome to ThisIsMS, Kzimm. We are glad to have you join us.

To your question of whether you should see a neurologist, I just read an article that summed up my feelings well: "doctors are experts in, and only test for, those parts of the body in which they specialize."

If your GP feels he has done all he can in the way of testing and suggested you see a neurologist, then perhaps it is time for a neuro. But in my unprofessional opinion, your symptoms seem quite mild at the moment and waiting might make sense – MRIs and other tests often do not find lesions or signs of MS early on (My first three MRIs, EMG and evoked potential tests were completely "normal.").
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby Kzimm » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:28 am

Thank you Lyndacarol! I really appreciate your response. I agree with you - I think I should wait and see and just try and relax (which, of course, is difficult). Deep breath.
Kzimm

Postby Kzimm » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:01 pm

I did end up going to the neuro about two weeks ago. Again, I passed the strength & sensory tests and he thinks I am fine, but has ordered an MRI just in case. I am getting the MRI in two days.

Just yesterday I noticed that when I turn my head down I get a slight muscle twinge above my left knee for a second. Not a shock or a vibration exactly - just kind of a weird sensation. Does anyone know if this this Lhermitte's?
Kzimm

Postby lyndacarol » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Kzimm wrote:Just yesterday I noticed that when I turn my head down I get a slight muscle twinge above my left knee for a second. Not a shock or a vibration exactly - just kind of a weird sensation. Does anyone know if this this Lhermitte's?

Be sure to mention this to your neurologist – I think it is entirely possible that this observation falls under the description of Lhermitte's.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby Kzimm » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:08 pm

Fortunately my MRI from 2 weeks ago and the EMG nerve test I had today were totally normal. My neurologist thinks it's just stress related (I'm very anxious). The symptoms have mostly abated. He said if they don't completely go away in 3 months, to call him. I just wanted to post this in case anyone wanted an update. Thank you for your help.
Kzimm

Return to Undiagnosed