MRI Results. Need help

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
mrbill128

MRI Results. Need help

Post by mrbill128 »

I have the MRI report from the radiologist that I would like some help with. I have a Doctor's appointment in 2 weeks but I am very anxious to find out what the report means.

It says:

IMPRESSIONS:

Stable appearance of the brain noting multiple elevated foci of signal intensity on T2 and FLAIR weighted sequences predominating within the periventricular white matter concordant with the history of multiple sclerosis without evidence of restricted diffusion or enhancement to suggest the presence of active demyelination.

Thank you in advance.

Bill
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MRI Results. Need help

Post by jimmylegs »

to me this looks like 'old lesions are visible in a typical stable ms pattern. no evidence to suggest new activity'. I could be wrong - interpreting scans and reports is not something I spend very much time on. someone else will likely chime in to help with the jargon.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
mrbill128

Post by mrbill128 »

So would you say I have MS? My sister has had for years.

Thank you.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

it looks like the technician is assuming you have a history of ms with the phrase "concordant with the history of multiple sclerosis".

if that's not the case, then you might want to read about periventricular lesions and other possible diagnoses.

here is an ms differential dx resource. if you go through it and search for 'periventricular' and you will find other possible associations with the findings on your scan
https://www.neurology.wisc.edu/publicat ... uro_2.pdf‎
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Ash3
Family Member

Post by Ash3 »

I hate when we have MRIs done and you have to wait 2 weeks to see the doctor. I have not had that experience so far and have had ms since 1999. However, you may want to try and get in sooner. When I have my MRIs they usually call me if any changes. Please try and relax. Ash3
Ladymac
Family Elder

Post by Ladymac »

mrbill128 wrote:I have the MRI report from the radiologist that I would like some help with. I have a Doctor's appointment in 2 weeks but I am very anxious to find out what the report means.

It says:

IMPRESSIONS:

Stable appearance of the brain noting multiple elevated foci of signal intensity on T2 and FLAIR weighted sequences predominating within the periventricular white matter concordant with the history of multiple sclerosis without evidence of restricted diffusion or enhancement to suggest the presence of active demyelination.

Thank you in advance.

Bill
My Neurologist reads the films himself side by side with me sitting with him as he compares each slice of the MRI with last years to see any changes. In the beginning they didn't have anything to compare with, but he explained what he was looking at and what things were. It is actually very interesting! There have been times when the radiologist report is different from the Neurologists reading. My Doc says it is what he sees that I need to rely on.

At the MS Center I go to you go and have our MRI and then sit in the waiting room and the Nurse calls you to come back to another room to meet with the Neurologist, no waiting. I think it is more than appropriate for you to call your doctors office and ask for him/her to call you because the waiting is very un-nerving.

With that said, you could ask if there is a cancellation so you could get in earlier?

Good Luck!
Blessings,

Ladymac
RRMS diagnosed 2006
Tecfidera Started April 2013
:)
mrbill128

Post by mrbill128 »

Thank you everyone for your help and support. I really appreciate it.

When I find out the diagnosis for sure I will post it on here.

Bill