New here! Numbness and tingling for the past week

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
roro70119

New here! Numbness and tingling for the past week

Post by roro70119 »

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and have been concerned the past week over certain odd things happening to my body. It started when my left foot became numb for no apparent reason about a week ago Slowly throughout the week the tingling sensations began and have progressed to my hands. While my foot continues to be numb, my hands will go back to normal every so often. Random places on my body will periodically tingle as well (leg, arms, face). When I am in bed ready to sleep I will periodically have muscle spasms and thoughts in my head seem to go at 100 miles per hour (not sure if that is a symptom). I have always had some trouble sleeping for most of my life so I initially was not concerned about my restlessness. I am 21 years old and just began my senior year in College today, so these concerns came at a bad time to say the least. I went to see an urgent care doctor today, but he said nothing and basically wasted my time. Because I've been very healthy up until these episodes I have yet to have a relationship with a primary care doctor. My father is taking me to the emergency room tomorrow morning, because getting a doctor will take weeks and I want this sorted out asap. Thank you so much for reading, I've been so nervous and reading this forum has already helped me out a lot, just looking for an outside opinion.

-RMC
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: New here! Numbness and tingling for the past week

Post by lyndacarol »

roro70119 wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and have been concerned the past week over certain odd things happening to my body. It started when my left foot became numb for no apparent reason about a week ago Slowly throughout the week the tingling sensations began and have progressed to my hands. While my foot continues to be numb, my hands will go back to normal every so often. Random places on my body will periodically tingle as well (leg, arms, face). When I am in bed ready to sleep I will periodically have muscle spasms and thoughts in my head seem to go at 100 miles per hour (not sure if that is a symptom). I have always had some trouble sleeping for most of my life so I initially was not concerned about my restlessness. I am 21 years old and just began my senior year in College today, so these concerns came at a bad time to say the least. I went to see an urgent care doctor today, but he said nothing and basically wasted my time. Because I've been very healthy up until these episodes I have yet to have a relationship with a primary care doctor. My father is taking me to the emergency room tomorrow morning, because getting a doctor will take weeks and I want this sorted out asap. Thank you so much for reading, I've been so nervous and reading this forum has already helped me out a lot, just looking for an outside opinion.

-RMC
Welcome to our forum, RMC. Here is my "outside opinion:" I believe that symptoms, such as you describe (numbness, tingling, muscle spasms), may be the result of excess insulin affecting the capillaries and muscles. In the hours before the symptoms appeared, did your diet contain items that could have triggered insulin production – trans fats; beer, alcohol in all forms; MSG; refined sugar or flour, or even whole wheat flour (which can elevate glucose higher than a candy bar in some people); etc.?

Even the mucous from an allergy or virus contains highly glycosylated molecules, and could elevate blood sugar, I think.

Or your pancreas could be producing excess insulin for some other reason. I suggest you see a GP and request a "fasting blood insulin test" – this is NOT the same as a glucose or blood sugar test. You hope to get the optimal result of 3 UU/ML or lower. (I have tingling in my hands and feet – my fasting blood insulin test results have never been lower than 9.)

All the best to you.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"

Return to “Undiagnosed”