I am getting ready for my MRI for MS and Neuro appt. SCARED!

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.

I am getting ready for my MRI for MS and Neuro appt. SCARED!

Postby Trulyblessedxo5 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:36 am

My name is Jessica I am 25 years old and I am suspected to have Multiple Sclerosis. I am simply terrified. I have five children and I am a single mother. I at first was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia now I am getting ready to go head in for my MRI hopefully this week sometime and I have my neuro appt. at the end of this month. I have a vitamin d deficiency that is scarcely low and I have read that is one of the first symptoms. I have the numbness and tingly feet and hands and the weakness in the hands in the morning and towards the end of the day and early morning. I have terrible headaches that could last up to five days. The stiffness in unbearable and I have a hard time moving at times. Sometimes noise affects me to the point where I just don't know how to handle it and and I just break down in an emotional crying spell or I get very angry and I don't know how to handle it. The pain in my skin and joints it feels like my skin is on fire and then some days it feels like I have pins and needles all over my body or other days I feel like it there is thousands of bugs crawling on me. My BP has been wonderful sometimes a little low or a little elevated when I am having these flare ups but other then that it has been great. I have put off my MRI since May because I am that terrified of finding out the real answer of having this debilitating disease. I am not following through because each day that passes by I get more symptoms and new symptoms. If anybody has more feedback for me and or any feedback I would be greatly appreciative. God Bless and thank you for taking your time and reading this.
Trulyblessedxo5

Advertisement

Re: I am getting ready for my MRI for MS and Neuro appt. SCA

Postby lyndacarol » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Trulyblessedxo5 wrote:My name is Jessica I am 25 years old and I am suspected to have Multiple Sclerosis. I am simply terrified. I have five children and I am a single mother. I at first was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia now I am getting ready to go head in for my MRI hopefully this week sometime and I have my neuro appt. at the end of this month. I have a vitamin d deficiency that is scarcely low and I have read that is one of the first symptoms. I have the numbness and tingly feet and hands and the weakness in the hands in the morning and towards the end of the day and early morning. I have terrible headaches that could last up to five days. The stiffness is unbearable and I have a hard time moving at times. Sometimes noise affects me to the point where I just don't know how to handle it and and I just break down in an emotional crying spell or I get very angry and I don't know how to handle it. The pain in my skin and joints it feels like my skin is on fire and then some days it feels like I have pins and needles all over my body or other days I feel like it there is thousands of bugs crawling on me. My BP has been wonderful sometimes a little low or a little elevated when I am having these flare ups but other then that it has been great. I have put off my MRI since May because I am that terrified of finding out the real answer of having this debilitating disease. I am not following through because each day that passes by I get more symptoms and new symptoms. If anybody has more feedback for me and or any feedback I would be greatly appreciative. God Bless and thank you for taking your time and reading this.

Welcome to ThisIsMS, Jessica. You have found a community of new friends here who understand your fears, who listen well, and who want to help in any way we can. Take a deep breath. Your five children are true blessings. For them and you yourself, you need to find a GP you are comfortable with and can work with in order to investigate your symptoms.

There are many different ideas here at ThisIsMS; MY suspicion is that excess insulin is involved in my symptoms and possibly yours too. Insulin (often called "the fat-storage hormone") is produced in the pancreas, usually in the appropriate amount to handle the amount of blood sugar (a.k.a. glucose) in the bloodstream. As with any hormone, the body can produce too little or too much. In the case of insulin, "too little" is called diabetes; "too much" does not have a well-known name. Excess ("too much") insulin affects the muscles – thickens and stiffens smooth muscles, leads to insulin resistance in skeletal muscles too. This may be responsible for the weakness in your hands, your stiffness, and difficulty moving. The walls of the blood vessels (even the capillaries in your extremities) are composed of smooth muscles – this may be the reason for the numbness and tingling in your feet and hands; and even headaches.

When you are experiencing these symptoms, I suggest that you request your GP to order a "fasting blood insulin test" – this is NOT the same as a blood sugar or glucose test. The optimal test result for insulin is 3 UU/ML or lower; if yours is higher, excess insulin, made in the pancreas, may be your problem. Your GP could then investigate your pancreas further or offer recommendations.

Vitamin D can be absorbed through the skin if you are in the sunshine for at least 15 minutes a few days each week (WITHOUT sunscreen on your skin!) – Are you getting outside enough? You may have difficulty absorbing vitamin D from food or a pill in your intestines.

All the best to you.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:20 pm

hi and welcome Jessica, you must be a major champ raising 5 little ones on your own! must take some heavy duty organization skills.

fyi, ms has an undertreated nutritional component. childbearing depletes nutrients and deficiencies can cause neurological side effects that could plausibly manifest in a fibro or ms dx if nobody checked for or corrected nutrient problems. I would strongly recommend based on your life history and your symptoms that you ask for tests of serum zinc and serum magnesium. deficient, low-normal or sometimes even mid-normal results would be expected in symptomatic nutrient deficit patients. high-normal results are typically found in healthy controls. if you get results and bring them back here and help you figure out food and supplements to help address any problems

also may I ask how you have been addressing the vit d3 deficiency issue? that could have implications for your magnesium status as well.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Melissa100 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:20 am

I have the same issue like you Jessica. I am deficient in Vitamin D and have all of those symptoms. My GP doesn't think that I have MS but he ordered a MRI this friday to see if anything will be detected. I had an cervical spine MRI 2 month ago nothing was there. I had an MRI of my brain 5 years ago when I almost had the same symptoms like now. But again nothing!!!! I am assuming after this MRI, if it comes out to be normal its probably anxiety and fibromyalgia. Let me know how everything goes :? sometimes we just need a deep breath:))) good luck!
Melissa100

Return to Undiagnosed