cold sensation on top of my head or sides

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.

cold sensation on top of my head or sides

Postby mar0131 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Hello,
I have not been diagnosed with MS yet. I had a sister that passed away from MS 4 years ago. I started having a mild numbness on the left side of my face and left arm at the end of June, 2013. I immediately saw a neurologist the first week of July. He ordered a brain and spine MRI. The MRI results came back normal and I was told I do not have MS. I thought maybe I was being paranoid and most certainly traumatized from seeing my sister suffer from Primary Progressive MS. I decided to wait for a couple of weeks and see if the numbness would go away. Well, it hasn't gone away. It is mild but it is there. In addition to that, I started feeling dizzy and I have this cold sensation on my head. My head feels heavy and again numb. I have pins and needles sensations all over my body, muscle tremors, eye pain, tingling sensations on my legs and arms, ear pain, heat intolerance, etc. Pretty much something new every other day. I have already looked for a second opinion. The neurologist I am seeing now specializes in MS and he wants me to go for a new MRI at the end of October to see if I start showing brain lesions. The MRI will be done on a more powerful machine ( 3 Tesla as opposed to 0.7 Tesla for my first MRI back in July).
All my friends think I am being paranoid because of what happened to my sister. I'm tired of everybody telling me that nothing is wrong with me. I don't feel well at all. What really bothers me is the numbness and cold sensation on the top of my head. I feel dizzy when it happens. Does this happen to anybody else? I've read of people with MS talking about leg and arm numbness but not so much head numbness. Does is ever go away? :(
mar0131

Advertisement

Re: cold sensation on top of my head or sides

Postby Annesse » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi mar0130~

I am sorry about your sister. I don't think you are being paranoid at all. Your symptoms sound quite serious.

Numbness and cold sensation on top of the head is called head paresthesia. Paresthesias are "abnormal" sensations and they can be associated with MS. Paresthesias can be caused by subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord. It is called subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord because it damages sensory and motor nerves. Head paresthesia is mostly associated with damage to the sensory nerves. Your other symptoms could be due to spinal cord degeneration as well.

I made some posts on the the cause of subacute combined degeneration of the spinal cord under the thread "Some Interesting Connections" if you would like to understand more on the disease process taking place in MS.
Annesse
Family Elder

Return to Undiagnosed