Feeling a little crazy!

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Jamrhi6

Feeling a little crazy!

Post by Jamrhi6 »

Last year I had a terrible experience with Rhabdomyolysis. My ck was up to 150,000. Two days before this I had terrible blurred vision in my right eye and migraines. Months after that I felt like I was back to normal. When it hit me again, blurred vision, migraines, twitching thumb, and numbness and tingling on my right side. I went to a neuro and he said I had optic neuritis. I was given notriptyline and after a month or two I was back to being myself. Two weeks ago my feet and hands became severely cramped up with muscle spasms and a burning sensation that causes my palms to turn bright red. I'm barely able to walk and my hands are very tight and the right hand tingles. I feel spacey and ditzy. I saw my doctor and he suggested I get an MRI to rule out ms. My neuro has to request the MRI and I'm waiting to see him to get the ball rolling. My neuro told me he doubts it's ms because ms doesn't cause pain?? Is this true? If you have ms have you experienced painful cramping? I feel like I ran a marathon as soon as I wake up and my feet hit the floor. Any advice or personal experience would help. Playing the waiting game is hard on me. I just want it to all go away!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Feeling a little crazy!

Post by jimmylegs »

hallo :) welcome to the forum

first, ms patients can certainly experience neuropathic pain. that is true of a variety of conditions however.

curious if the cause(s) of your xp with Rhabdomyolysis has/have been established? and what tests docs have run so far while figuring things out?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Jamrhi6

Post by Jamrhi6 »

Thank you for the quick response. The doctors could never figure out a definite cause of the rhabdomyolysis. I was exercising consistently at the time and one day after my spin class my thigh muscles would not calm down and the next day was worse. After 2 days of tight muscles my urine turned black and I went to ER. I was admitted for a week to flush out my kidneys. As of right now the only cause they can think of is just over use of the muscle area. I have been tested for many things trying to understand the muscle cramping. RA was ruled out. Lupus was ruled out. Electrolyte problems were ruled out. All my labs came back with perfect numbers. Potassium levels are perfect. I feel like I need Dr House lol
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ah ha. good to have the context.
do you have your own copy of the electrolyte results?
do you have a serum magnesium result on file by chance?

I would like to compare your results to the numbers from this case study, vs numbers seen in healthy controls (as distinct from the normal range)

Hypokalaemic rhabdomyolysis
http://acb.sagepub.com/content/44/3/308.short
"Hypokalaemic rhabdomyolysis is unusual, but the association between hypokalaemia and rhabdomyolysis can be overlooked if intracellular potassium leakage normalizes serum potassium by the time of presentation. This report describes a patient who presented with severe pain due to non-traumatic rhabdomyolysis and was found to have serum potassium of 1.4 mmol/L; magnesium 0.40 mmol/L; phosphate 1.40 mmol/L; adjusted calcium 1.87 mmol/L and creatine kinase 6421 U/L."

That magnesium value is TERRIBLE. but the normal range for serum magnesium is awful as well. so if you don't have a mag result, it could be worth looking into. if you do have a mag result on file, it could *look* great but the normal range for serum mag is also in desperate need of an update.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Jamrhi6

Post by Jamrhi6 »

I wish I had a copy, when I was there they just said all my numbers looked good. I'm very frustrated by the whole thing. I want to know what's causing all my problems so I can do what I need to do to feel better. I'm 31 years old I don't smoke or drink. I'm healthy other then this. I had mono when I was 14 and was told that the Epstein Barr virus will stay with me. I have 4 children and I want to ba able to keep up with them. I limp everywhere I go and I'm exhausted by noon. Does this sound like ms? If ms can be painful then why would that doc tell me pain isn't a symptom?
Jamrhi6

Post by Jamrhi6 »

When I was in the hospital last year with rhabdomyolysis my potassium was low and I had to take supplements but since then my potassium has returned to normal.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok I would strongly recommend getting a serum magnesium test done. it's not on the diagnostic list of electrolyte testing for rhabdo but it's clearly a potential problem area given that study above. and it's cheap.

you can easily order a serum magnesium test online here (or any other similar type of provider) if you're in the US:
http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... -Test.html