should i even consider looking into possible ms?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: should i even consider looking into possible ms?

Post by jimmylegs »

heya :) gotta vent sometimes, esp if you can't hibernate.

hey did you have any success getting copy of your bloodwork files yet? or is that still pending?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

findingseeking wrote:i really dont think i have gluten intolerance. i have trialed this over and over again. i have been militant about it and went back to gluten and found no negative changes over 3 month periods.
i have been tested for the antibodies and have no inflammation to be seen. ( tested while eating gluten so it would show up)

im a bit nervous for the emg, just because i have dislike tests. i have had 2 mri's done this year and several CT's done with contrast. im so sick of being probed and prodded. im sick of being sick. im sick of it being an invisible illness and getting little to no help from MD's and people in my life thinking im just too sensitive. i want to be well, or to at least know whats wrong and go from there.
this likely is not ms, so i'm sorry to post here. but some of my symptoms are similar and i just feel at the end of my rope, ya know?
im 32, its been 3 full years of pain. and i have a little kid who relies on me.
whatever it is going on inside me, im just too tired.
sometimes i just wanna stay in bed and say eff life, im taking a week off, but life doesnt work that way.
sorry to whine.
findingseeking – I understand your frustration at being sick and finding no answers. Do not apologize for posting here; we offer our opinions and suggestions, but we also listen really well. If you just need to vent, we are here.

You mentioned having a little kid… Did your symptoms appear or intensify after giving birth? Pregnant women increase their production of insulin in order to put weight on the developing fetus. I suspect that the body does not return to normal production after delivery in some women. I have thought my symptoms were due to my elevated insulin levels.
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
findingseeking

Post by findingseeking »

and a few hours into my day today i lost feeling in my leg. Meralgia paraesthetica. i have had this happen before but not to this degree.
findingseeking

Post by findingseeking »

emg was normal.

neuro is sending me for an MRI and an EEG. he thinks i had a cortical event. i dont understand exactly what that means. but i will have the eeg monday and he is trying to push my MRI through for next week.
i have some episodic dysphysia, twitching and loss of sensation.

im a bit scared.
findingseeking

Post by findingseeking »

i ended up back in the ER. the day dollowing my emg my face went numb but felt like it was burning too if that makes sense.
my right hand is markedly weaker than it ever has been and i have to assist it with my left hand and use my left hand for normal tasks i would use my right hand for.
my eeg is on wedsday.
i had a CT scan which at least shows i dont have a brain tumor, but thats and a massive stroke/bleed was all it ruled out and those were never huge concerns.
i had a few horrible nights where i couldnt sleep because the spasms were so bad and then my body would tingle pins and needles.
the regular ER dr brought up MS and the neuro i saw after dismissed it. so who knows. i know interpretation differs from md to md.
i may have to wait months for an MRI if i dont pay privately.
one of my legs feels achy and like a tickle is in it constantly and a bit less strong but not so much that my gait is really off. it just a constant sensation that is bothersome.

i think the most frustrating thing is when i asked how i can reduce these symptoms he just shrugged and didnt know and made it like it wasnt a huge deal since its not life threatening. i guess my daily quality of life isnt a concern to that neuro.

i dont have the blodd work with me but they did test for all dietary type imbalances and i think for heavy metals and it came back clear. i am going to see another neuro on weds as i had planned before to for my back and i am will obtain all my results this week to bring over to him and will have them then.

i guess its a wait and see thing now. i cried last night because i couldnt use a fork properly. and couldnt get highlights ( im a hairdresser) done as i normally do at work.

is there anything that helps makes these symptoms lessen? is there anything you take that helps that i could possibly get?
right now all i can do is take valium when the twitching gets really bad and that doesnt even work it just lets me sleep thru it.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi again, sorry to hear you're having a bad time.

all nutritional results come back clear because ms patients have levels that are LOW NORMAL while healthy ppl have levels that are HIGH NORMAL. as far as the lab and the doc is concerned, it's all NORMAL and therefore diet can't be an action item.

please post (or you could pm me) your dietary test results. there are almost certainly issues that you could act on nutrient-wise. I'd be extremely surprised if there weren't.

there are certainly ALL KINDS of things you can do for symptoms. for example, I'd be particularly interested in your serum magnesium results as I suspect those could be related to your spasms. we can discuss food choices and things to avoid and best supplemental forms, there's tons of info out there.

another useful thing you can do is keep a food and fluids diary for a few days - it helps to spot possible nutritional gaps in a person's typical daily routine.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

findingseeking wrote:i ended up back in the ER. the day dollowing my emg my face went numb but felt like it was burning too if that makes sense.
my right hand is markedly weaker than it ever has been and i have to assist it with my left hand and use my left hand for normal tasks i would use my right hand for.
my eeg is on wedsday.
i had a CT scan which at least shows i dont have a brain tumor, but thats and a massive stroke/bleed was all it ruled out and those were never huge concerns.
i had a few horrible nights where i couldnt sleep because the spasms were so bad and then my body would tingle pins and needles.
the regular ER dr brought up MS and the neuro i saw after dismissed it. so who knows. i know interpretation differs from md to md.
i may have to wait months for an MRI if i dont pay privately.
one of my legs feels achy and like a tickle is in it constantly and a bit less strong but not so much that my gait is really off. it just a constant sensation that is bothersome.

i think the most frustrating thing is when i asked how i can reduce these symptoms he just shrugged and didnt know and made it like it wasnt a huge deal since its not life threatening. i guess my daily quality of life isnt a concern to that neuro.

i dont have the blodd work with me but they did test for all dietary type imbalances and i think for heavy metals and it came back clear. i am going to see another neuro on weds as i had planned before to for my back and i am will obtain all my results this week to bring over to him and will have them then.

i guess its a wait and see thing now. i cried last night because i couldnt use a fork properly. and couldnt get highlights ( im a hairdresser) done as i normally do at work.

is there anything that helps makes these symptoms lessen? is there anything you take that helps that i could possibly get?
right now all i can do is take valium when the twitching gets really bad and that doesnt even work it just lets me sleep thru it.
As I mentioned on the first page of this thread, I urge you to request a "fasting blood insulin test," which is NOT the same as a glucose or blood sugar test. If your pancreas is producing excess insulin (due to inflammation, or an insulinoma, or diet), this excess thickens and stiffens smooth muscles and even causes insulin resistance in skeletal muscle. Your right-hand weakness, muscle spasms at night, and other symptoms (The blood vessels have smooth muscles in the walls; if these stiffen due to insulin, this can account for your tingling/pins and needles.) – All seem to be muscle related, in my opinion.

On the day following your EMG when your face felt numb and burning, what had you been eating that day or the day before? Per jimmylegs' general advice, a food and fluid diary is a good idea.

As for "anything that helps," my only suggestion would be to eliminate anything in your diet that increases inflammation or that increases insulin production (that is ANYTHING that raises blood sugar levels). Anti-inflammatory drinks such as green tea or ginger slices in hot water can't hurt and might help. I wish I had the answer for you; we are all searching for the answer – we can only share ideas.

Return to “Undiagnosed”