More symptoms then I know what to do with

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Jamrhi6

More symptoms then I know what to do with

Post by Jamrhi6 »

So it started about a year ago with blurred vision, migraines, muscle cramping and weakness, depression and fatigue. My doc was puzzled by this and it went away in its own. Then 6 months ago I was gifted with chronic optic migraines. I also was experiencing thumb twitching and muscle cramping in my hand. All on the right side. I was given notriptyline and all eventually subsided. Last month my feet began cramping up then my hands. It started first thing in the am like I had ran a marathon while twirling a baton all night long. They were freezing cold and it continued to get worse then the tingling and sharp static feelings and then the red hot burning feeling like in sweating on the inside of my hands. My upper body felt stiff. I went to the ER 2 weeks ago because I woke up and was unable to walk my toes were curled inward ice cold and it hurt to walk on them. They gave me gabapentin and sent me to the doc who is now sending me to the neuro. Since taking the gabapentin the muscle cramping has subsided. Still have the hot hands then ice cold hands then cold feet and tingling. My fatigue is off and on. My doc tested me for everything (blood wise) so did the ER and all is well with my thyroid my um what do you call the swelling? Ugh in so tired of feeling like this a couple days ago I had a dizzy spell in the bathroom I started feeling like my eyes were crossing over and then both eyes were blurry/fuzzy and I took a Motrin right away because I was awaiting a migraine but it didn't come I took a nap because I was so tired. I hope I get answered tomorrow. I'm a 31 year old female with 4 boys and a husband in the Navy. These aren't the kind of problems I thought I would be having?????!!!!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: More symptoms then I know what to do with

Post by jimmylegs »

hi and welcome to the site :)

because you have four boys, it's possible you could have a few nutrient depletion issues.

do you have a copy of your bloodwork results? re your history of blurred vision, cramping, weakness, depression, fatigue and migraine, has anyone run any nutrient tests?

several nutrients tend to be low-normal in ms patients and high-normal in healthy controls. you have an appointment today? if the docs have not ordered tests for serum zinc and serum magnesium, see if they will requisition these for you and give you your own copy of results.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: More symptoms then I know what to do with

Post by lyndacarol »

Jamrhi6 wrote:So it started about a year ago with blurred vision, migraines, muscle cramping and weakness, depression and fatigue. My doc was puzzled by this and it went away in its own. Then 6 months ago I was gifted with chronic optic migraines. I also was experiencing thumb twitching and muscle cramping in my hand. All on the right side. I was given notriptyline and all eventually subsided. Last month my feet began cramping up then my hands. It started first thing in the am like I had ran a marathon while twirling a baton all night long. They were freezing cold and it continued to get worse then the tingling and sharp static feelings and then the red hot burning feeling like in sweating on the inside of my hands. My upper body felt stiff. I went to the ER 2 weeks ago because I woke up and was unable to walk my toes were curled inward ice cold and it hurt to walk on them. They gave me gabapentin and sent me to the doc who is now sending me to the neuro. Since taking the gabapentin the muscle cramping has subsided. Still have the hot hands then ice cold hands then cold feet and tingling. My fatigue is off and on. My doc tested me for everything (blood wise) so did the ER and all is well with my thyroid my um what do you call the swelling? Ugh in so tired of feeling like this a couple days ago I had a dizzy spell in the bathroom I started feeling like my eyes were crossing over and then both eyes were blurry/fuzzy and I took a Motrin right away because I was awaiting a migraine but it didn't come I took a nap because I was so tired. I hope I get answered tomorrow. I'm a 31 year old female with 4 boys and a husband in the Navy. These aren't the kind of problems I thought I would be having?????!!!!!
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Jamrhi6.

Although you have not specifically asked for advice, please allow me to offer these suggestions with my best intentions:

1. Write down a timeline and list of all your symptoms.
2. Hand this to the neuro for discussion at your next medical appointment.
3. Consider these suggestions from the University of Chicago (Your numbness/tingling/pain in the hands and feet are called peripheral neuropathy.):

http://peripheralneuropathycenter.uchic ... #bloodtest

Blood tests are an especially good starting point for ruling out possible conditions (Your bloodwork, such as for the thyroid, may have already included many of these:
Blood tests

Blood tests are commonly employed to check for vitamin deficiencies, toxic elements and evidence of an abnormal immune response.

Depending on your individual situation, your doctor may request certain laboratory tests to identify potentially treatable causes for neuropathy. These include tests for:
Vitamin B12 and folate levels
Thyroid, liver and kidney functions
Vasculitis evaluation
Oral glucose tolerance test (I suggest a "fasting blood insulin test" -- not the same as a blood sugar test.)
Antibodies to nerve components (e.g., anti-MAG antibody)
Antibodies related to celiac disease (In view of the information below, mannitol-lactulose test for Intestinal Permeability might also be helpful.)
Lyme disease
HIV/AIDS
Hepatitis C and B

So many of your symptoms seem to match the list below.

Dr. Gary Kaplan describes the four types of celiac disease: 1.Typical 2.Atypical or Extraintestinal 3.Silent 4.Latent

At 0:30 he says that the atypical/extraintestinal form includes minimal gastrointestinal symptoms AND may include:

iron deficiency/anemia
dermatitis herpetiformis
chronic fatigue
joint pain
infertility
neurologic symptoms (ataxia, neuropathies)
vitamin deficiencies
ADD
osteoporosis/osteopenia
autoimmune disorders - list available at http://www.aarda.org/
migraines