Not sure where to start, but feeling down.

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.

Re: Not sure where to start, but feeling down.

Postby NHE » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:16 pm

jimmylegs wrote:as for zycam, you mean this? sounds terrible :S
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zicam
"Zicam is a branded series of products marketed for cold and allergy relief whose original formulations included the element zinc" weird - wonder when that changed.

When sprayed up the nose, zinc ions induce the loss of the sense of smell. There was an interview some time ago on NPR, perhaps it was the show "This American Life," where a woman described her experience with this. She said that in the absence of a sense of smell, that her brain manufactured scents that were putrid, i.e., like decaying flesh. Her sense of smell eventually returned after several months. If I remember correctly, she wrote a book about her experience.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby jimmylegs » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:23 pm

that sounds gross! I think zinc is supposed to go in the tummy not through the nose :( no wonder they had to take the zinc out :S
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Postby NHE » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:20 am

jimmylegs wrote:that sounds gross! I think zinc is supposed to go in the tummy not through the nose :( no wonder they had to take the zinc out :S

Yes, zinc is toxic to the scent receptor neurons in the nose.

Here's the book (as far as I can tell).
http://www.amazon.com/Remembering-Smell ... 618861882/

They didn't just take the zinc out, they turned it into a homeopathic "remedy." In effect, they diluted it until there was nothing but the diluent remaining.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby abbadackerygirl » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Yeah, I guess I spelled it wrong, lol...

Ok, I had my MRI done, and my doc was nice enough to read it for me; he saw no lesions in the brain. Well, then why the heck am I feeling this way?
abbadackerygirl

Postby jimmylegs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:58 pm

it seems brain lesions don't really have as much as you'd think, to do with how ppl feel physically. spine lesions seem to be much more the clear and present thing.
so, you could be dealing with some manageable nutrition issues. might be worth investigating :) dietary analysis is a super easy first step.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Previous

Return to Undiagnosed