Nerve conductor test

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
BadWolf
Getting to Know You...

Nerve conductor test

Post by BadWolf »

Apparently along with an MRI, this test is next up on the list. Have any of you had one? I'm a bit nervous because I heard they are uncomfortable. What is the purpose of one?
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Nerve conductor test

Post by euphoniaa »

BadWolf wrote:Apparently along with an MRI, this test is next up on the list. Have any of you had one? I'm a bit nervous because I heard they are uncomfortable. What is the purpose of one?
Hi BadWolf,

I’ve had lots of those and they are a little uncomfortable, but bearable. And heads up – they do consist of needles and slight electric shocks. You can read more about EMGs (Electromyograms) and other nerve conduction studies here (and about a zillion other places):
http://www.webmd.com/brain/electromyogr ... on-studies

They’re done to either diagnose or to rule OUT problems with your peripheral nerves, rather than to diagnose MS, since MS has no definitive diagnostic test. MS is a disease of the Central Nervous System (CNS includes the brain, spinal cord & optic nerve), while the Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) includes all the other nerves in your body. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of medical conditions that can damage your peripheral nerves, and that damage often causes similar symptoms to other neurological conditions.

As it turns out, I’ve been diagnosed with both MS and a hereditary peripheral neuropathy, so I’ve had those nerve studies many times as new issues arise. My docs just shake their heads at the “multiple pinched nerves” in my legs, carpal tunnel (in both my wrists & elbows), and the multiple degenerative spinal issues showing on MRIs – none of which are related to MS, but do cause much of my distress.

The physiatrist who diagnosed my PNS problems with the EMGs also sent me for brain MRIs, since apparently he noticed other symptoms of Central Nervous System damage, and those showed a brainful of MS lesions, too.

There are plenty of other descriptive sites and even videos of these tests, but I didn't bother to watch them. Wishing you good luck and good doctors!
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
BadWolf
Getting to Know You...

Post by BadWolf »

Great, thank you. As with each test, I'm hoping it comes back with something haha. Seems weird, but I know people on here *get* that feeling that we want it to be anything, as long as we have an answer and we are hoping it's not MS. :smile:

Thanks for the helpful info, I'll check it out. I've honestly been a little afraid to google anything these days so I wanted to get some real, first hand experiences from people who have been there first.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

not gonna lie, it ain't a back rub, but it's not the end of the world either.

and, there's always health-focused stuff you have control over and can work on, even if the docs haven't figured out how to label or properly identify every possible combination of non-health issues yet ;)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
BadWolf
Getting to Know You...

Post by BadWolf »

Yeah, I've started on D and mag supplements, and will start on B12 as well. I already limit gluten, dairy, and sugar and follow a low carb diet (most of the time :wink: ) so I think I'm already good on diet. I exercise twice a week so I'm going to bump that up as well.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

I already limit gluten, dairy, and sugar and follow a low carb diet (most of the time :wink:
That is great :-D
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

BadWolf wrote:I already limit gluten, dairy, and sugar and follow a low carb diet
I agree with THX1138 –" That is great."

All three – gluten, dairy, and sugar – increase the blood sugar (glucose) level; carbohydrates convert quickly to blood sugar also. The body reacts an increase in blood sugar by increasing the level of insulin. My aim is to reduce and maintain a low level of insulin (It should be 3 UU/ML or lower.).

Diet and exercise is the place to start!
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"