My Drs are baffled

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Lorielynnjackson
Family Member

Re: My Drs are baffled

Post by Lorielynnjackson »

Hi emktrx, I have just had blood work and all seems fairly normal, other than magnesium. White blood cell count ok, I believe. Am slimmer now than I used to be, sleeping sort of ok, and not a lot of energy for exercise. Eating and drinking seems to be an issue. Had a urine hormone test today, waiting for results, and I didn't make very much pee at all... If I drink I can't eat or am in pain, if I eat, I have no room to drink.. So am stuck. Good smoothies seem to help tho. :) or spinach soup. :) nice recipe Jimmylegs.. ;) thanks for your kind words.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

doing some research for school and stumbled on this

Calcium and magnesium in drinking water: public health significance (WHO, 2009)
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1066 ... g.pdf?ua=1
Diabetes. Because all kinases and other ATP-related enzymes and channels regulating insulin action are dependent on magnesium, it is not surprising that serum magnesium concentrations have been found to be decreased in non-diabetic subjects with metabolic syndrome and that hypomagnesaemia is a common feature in subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Whether low intracellular magnesium content is secondary to or precedes insulin resistance is unclear; however, recent evidence suggests that subclinical magnesium deficiency may precipitate a diabetic state.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, how's the last week or so been? hopefully not too bad.

ran across some info.. i don't usually worry about phosphorus status since most messaging is usually about excess, but in your situation this info could be worth a read:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/m ... hosphorus/
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

What Are the Maximum Oral Doses of Potassium, Calcium, Phosphorus, and Magnesium?
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/771121
Similar to magnesium, oral phosphate preparations have the dose-limiting side effect of diarrhea, which is often avoidable. The recommended daily intake for adults is 800-1200 mg of elemental phosphorus. Commonly used oral phosphate supplements contain 250 mg and are typically given 3-4 times a day. Dividing the dose throughout the day may decrease the likelihood of a patient experiencing diarrhea. Another way to obtain phosphate without the gastrointestinal (GI) side effects associated with the oral supplements is to eat a high-phosphorus diet including, eggs, nuts, fish, and milk.[3-5]
Lorielynnjackson
Family Member

Hey sorry have gone offline, am in the middle of blood tests, neurologist testsm cardiologist tests, craziness. So far have found intolerances to rice, corn, wheat, yeast, milk, peanuts, ... And something else I think. Not sure what I will be able to eat... Maybe they will be looking for an overactive immune system, this is only the first battery of tests, nest is liver ezymes, nutrient levels, and insulin levels...
More to follow!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

heya :) all the intolerance stuff can be beaten if you can get your immune system fed the right stuff - i've done it before with myself and others.. sensitivities can disappear.

this article is only with reference to wheat, but it's nice to see others talking about this stuff too:

http://www.naturalnews.com/042519_glute ... _zinc.html

hope you have no trouble getting through the rest of all your tests!
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Good article, JL.

I don't know which comes first, the chicken or the egg. And maybe it doesn't matter.

As the article says, "Gluten is commonly believed to harm the ability of the small intestine to absorb nutrients like zinc, which in turn leads to deficiency," but if gluten damages the duodenum where most nutrients are absorbed, I think it could also harm the ileum where vitamin B12 is absorbed. AND let's not forget that insulin might be in there too.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

heya :)

for people dealing with intolerance it really wouldn't matter which comes first - either way the levels need to be corrected.

if people get their levels up to the healthy range and are better able to tolerate gluten as a result, thereby enabling them to benefit from beneficial properties of gluten grains, so much the better :D

the fact is though, that diets are commonly deficient in both zinc and magnesium, and as posted previously, low levels of both are seen in the newly diagnosed (celiac patient).

as with any chronic illness, i think the way these common deficits roll out in individuals depend on their personal idiosyncrasies re day to day habits and exposures (broadly, 'environment' - which includes epigenetics), as well as genetics.

i think at the end of the day, it really is all about balance!
Lorielynnjackson
Family Member

Hi, ha ha! So you thought you got rid of me. :) just kidding. Am still going through batteries of tests but I don't think they suspect ms any more even though I have my suspicions. I had my fasting blood insulin tested after all and it came back a "little flat " according to my gastro, but nothing to cause me drama. Said it might cause racing heart and whatnot and to keep my meals small and I might have a light sugar intolerance? Does this sound accurate? The surprising result that sent the drs for a loop was my vitamin D level ... Apparently the toxic level is anything over 150 u/ml? And mine was 592!! No supplements and I am basically starving. No milk, almost no sun. He says very rare making my own and only a few disorders are 90% linked to It. Sarcoidosis. Lymphoma. And non pulmonary/and/or pulmonary tuberculosis.... They have almost ruled out lymphoma... And are working on the others.., they have put me on a crap load of antiinflammatories including 50mg of prednisone. Yikes. To get appetite and back off pain... Hopefully it works... Any thoughts are appreciated... Oh, ps. EEG came back abnormal low brain waves, spikes in frontal left, and back right lobes. Also, none of my spinal vertebrae or facet joints are ligned up either ( according to cat scan). So I really wish I knew someone who could put a puzzle together. :) in any case, thanks for all the times you listened and I understand if you want to move on to others who need your time. Thanks a bunch. Lorie.p.s. On a side note there was a wheat intolerance. Corn, rice, whole milk, yearst, I am now getting b12 shots once a week from neurologist. :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey you! i've been wondering how you were doing.

WHAT you had vit d3 592 nmol/L??? wow. did they take a serum calcium level?

if sarcoid, that one is quite the bear to research from the nutrition angle.

re the intolerance to wheat, corn, rice, milk and yeast, please ask for a serum zinc test if you get the opportunity. although, you'd have to watch for potential effects on d3 synthesis.

glad to hear they have you on some sort of nutrient shots - hope you can get answers that will allow you to eat more normally at some point!
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Lorielynnjackson wrote:Hi, ha ha! So you thought you got rid of me. :) just kidding. Am still going through batteries of tests but I don't think they suspect ms any more even though I have my suspicions. I had my fasting blood insulin tested after all and it came back a "little flat " according to my gastro, but nothing to cause me drama. Said it might cause racing heart and whatnot and to keep my meals small and I might have a light sugar intolerance? Does this sound accurate? The surprising result that sent the drs for a loop was my vitamin D level ... Apparently the toxic level is anything over 150 u/ml? And mine was 592!! No supplements and I am basically starving. No milk, almost no sun. He says very rare making my own and only a few disorders are 90% linked to It. Sarcoidosis. Lymphoma. And non pulmonary/and/or pulmonary tuberculosis.... They have almost ruled out lymphoma... And are working on the others.., they have put me on a crap load of antiinflammatories including 50mg of prednisone. Yikes. To get appetite and back off pain... Hopefully it works... Any thoughts are appreciated... Oh, ps. EEG came back abnormal low brain waves, spikes in frontal left, and back right lobes. Also, none of my spinal vertebrae or facet joints are ligned up either ( according to cat scan). So I really wish I knew someone who could put a puzzle together. :) in any case, thanks for all the times you listened and I understand if you want to move on to others who need your time. Thanks a bunch. Lorie.p.s. On a side note there was a wheat intolerance. Corn, rice, whole milk, yearst, I am now getting b12 shots once a week from neurologist. :)
We are glad you remembered us and filled us in on what's been happening, Lorie. I don't understand the gastro's assessment of your blood insulin test as "a little flat." A light sugar intolerance – what in the world is that? I suspect that the insulin level is moderately high and I encourage you to avoid anything that will stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin.

The vitamin D level at 592 is surprising, but I had not heard that anything over 150 is a "toxic levels." Jimmylegs is more in tune with the vitamin D situation. I would encourage you to contact one of the recognized vitamin D researchers to get the full story about toxicity.

You say that your doctors have put you on 50 mg of prednisone… For what length of time? Be aware that high-dose OR long-term use of corticosteroids (prednisone is one of these) often leads to diabetes. Your doctor should certainly be watching for this possible development.

I am glad your wheat intolerance was discovered; if this is due to gluten sensitivity, corn and rice do not contain gluten. Perhaps allergies to these substances were discovered. You have control in dealing with diet.

Vitamin B12 shots once a week will not hurt you and may help you a great deal. Years ago doctors gave B12 shots just to improve a person's energy level. If you are not drinking milk, or eating many of the other animal-food sources of B12, supplementation with injections is a very good idea. Some people even have to take them for the rest of their lives.

You are always welcome here, Lorie. We wish you all the best.

Return to “Undiagnosed”