Awaiting results, question about timeline

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
VDeluxe

Awaiting results, question about timeline

Post by VDeluxe »

I'm awaiting my MRI results (performed yesterday) and I had a question about how long some of you may have had MS before an actual DX. I've had a number of symptoms for many years but this is the first that we are actually investigating the possibility of MS. I've never been prone to going to the doctors and when I did some things never crossed my mind as symptoms, I just chalked it up to normal aging aches and pains. Now that MS is possible a lot of what I've dealt with falls right into the list of symptoms. For example, 15 years ago I had massive chest pain. After they ruled out my heart they just said they didn't know what it was but that it wasn't a heart attack. Throughout the last 15 years I would still get these episodes and now in doing research I find the 'MS hug' which describes perfectly what I experience. I've had face numbness that I've had for 3 years but the last doctor ignored and it has been increasing in intensity. Lots of other various symptoms that don't go away as I get older.

So, I guess my question is has anyone else went a long time before their DX of MS? What is your story? What prompted the final DX? Any side effects of going undiagnosed for so long? At 50 years old I'm looking at a possible DX of something I may have had for over 15 years!
CaliReader
Family Elder

Re: Awaiting results, question about timeline

Post by CaliReader »

Looking back, I can see ms symptoms 20 years before diagnosis. It is amazing what you can believe is normal, or just explain away, ignore because it improves in a few weeks. I've had the ms hug intermittently since my early 20's. Clumsiness was part of my identity. Didn't investigate eye symptoms.

I became concerned enough to investigate with facial sensations and numbness in my early 40's that didn't go away. Got no help. Found a different doctor when I had an episode of dropping things... change at cash registers, keys when locking or unlocking the door.

Even after a positive mri of brain and spine, it took another clinical attack before I was diagnosed. That one froze part of my body. Wierdest thing ever. Watching something fail to work without any pain or sensation that something is wrong is very strange.

I hope you don't have ms. If you do, there is a lot to learn. They know a lot more about what can help than they did 20 years ago. But it is still a huge shock and adjustment. Good luck.
VDeluxe

Re: Awaiting results, question about timeline

Post by VDeluxe »

Thanks for the input. The 'clumsiness was part of my identity' fits me too. So much of what is going on I would just discount as normal aging, etc.