hot sensations in arms and legs for months

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
skinnyscarecrow
Getting to Know You...

hot sensations in arms and legs for months

Post by skinnyscarecrow »

Hello, I am a 23 year old male. No prior health history and I've finally been feeling these slight warm to hot sensations in random parts of my extremities for over 6 months now. Usually happen once a day(sometimes more) and for about 5 seconds tops.

There is no definite pattern of the hot feelings. One day it will be in my pointer finger on my right hand, then the next day ill feel it in my shin on left leg. It is so random, but I have yet to feel it anywhere else in my body other than my legs and arms. Is this characteristic of early MS symptoms?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: hot sensations in arms and legs for months

Post by ElliotB »

Have you been to a doctor and/or neurologist?
skinnyscarecrow
Getting to Know You...

I am going to make an appointment.
chowder1
Family Member

Post by chowder1 »

Not trying to scare you.......just remembering my early, early symptoms. I would get a hot spot on my thigh. Just enough to get my attention and make me rub it. It was a wired sensation.......it would just be like a hot quarter was on my thigh......only lasted a few seconds. Make sense??
skinnyscarecrow
Getting to Know You...

Could this also be due to some vitamin deficiency? Or would there be a more dramatic increase in symptoms for that?
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

skinnyscarecrow wrote:Could this also be due to some vitamin deficiency? Or would there be a more dramatic increase in symptoms for that?
Hi skinnyscarecrow and welcome! The problem with diagnosing MS is that every one of us has a completely unique set of symptoms (and history and future...). And... there isn't a single symptom that's exclusive to MS. Pretty much all neurological conditions share many of the same general symptoms. It takes testing and evaluation by a doctor to come to a diagnosis.

In my case, I've been told I have 2 diagnoses - MS (Central Nervous System) and HNPP (Peripheral Nervous System). My neuro and I agree that there's no way to tell which symptom goes with which diagnosis. And we agree it doesn't matter that much anyway. :smile:

I was diagnosed by a physiatrist without even giving him a list of symptoms. He noticed something about my reflexes in a short exam, sent me for a brain MRI, and voila! Brain of MS-type lesions = instant MS diagnosis. I've had a lifetime of weird little sensations like you're describing, but I can't say that they were caused by MS, HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy), arthritis, age, or one of my other multiple medical conditions.

And yes, vitamin deficiencies could possibly cause issues, but please use caution in supplementing them. In my case, I've had worse episodes from taking vitamins & supplements than anything MS has ever done for me! 8O Taking Vitamin B12 actually caused that type of problem for me. Your doctor should test for those, however, in order to rule out deficiencies.

My last 2 sets of tests show that my body's drowning in B12, though. Plus the blood tests alone cost me over $900 this year.

Good luck & keep us posted! :smile:
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
skinnyscarecrow
Getting to Know You...

Thank you for your information and concern. I will keep you posted, I'm sure it will be a while before I get any diagnosis (from the stories I hear). It was nice to hear that you were diagnosed so simple and easily. Some people I read were living with it for years before a dx.
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

skinnyscarecrow wrote:Thank you for your information and concern. I will keep you posted, I'm sure it will be a while before I get any diagnosis (from the stories I hear). It was nice to hear that you were diagnosed so simple and easily. Some people I read were living with it for years before a dx.
Just to clarify...I got my diagnosis at the age of 52 after I had obviously had MS for AT LEAST 30 years, since age 22, and possibly much younger than that (according to my childhood memories). And by then I had a brain that was jammed full of old lesions. :smile:

But, I was feeling the healthiest that I had for years on the day of my dx with both MS and HNPP.

I always recommend that while you're waiting to find out what 'might' be wrong with you, try to optimize your health in the meantime with a healthy diet & exercise. I attribute my seemingly good health and lack of symptoms at the time of my diagnosis to the fact that I had been doing just that for the 20 or so years before someone finally noticed and sent me for MRIs.

If you're interested, my story and creepy brain pics are here: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 16335.html

An MS diagnosis isn't the end...you CAN help yourself in the meantime -- both before and after life with MS. :smile:
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
skinnyscarecrow
Getting to Know You...

Very interesting, I will take a look at that. Thank you again for your time and care.
skinnyscarecrow
Getting to Know You...

I think I have come to a conclusion that what I am feeling is described as "Paroxysmal attacks in multiple sclerosis". It matches perfectly with what I am feeling. Does anyone have any thoughts or previous experience with this early on in your MS?
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

My symptoms of MS went away when I started a detox program. The program consisted of high concentration of vitamins and minerals to remove the toxins from my body. I started to realize we should be eating to give our body these vitamins and minerals. Started moving toward a mostly vegan raw food diet alone with having my bad teeth removed. Have not had MS symptoms since then. People want to go to the doctor and get a drug for their illness but that is not how it works. Drugs are toxic to the body. The cure is at the end of your fork. Dr. Bergman and others do a good job of explaining autoimmune disease. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose but your symptoms.

ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Want2bike, while I don't necessarily disagree with your comments and recommendations in any of your posts, for the most part they are good recommendations. But are you aware that there are over 400 illnesses that mimic the symptoms of MS. Having symptoms of MS and having MS are two different stories. Since you never received a diagnosis of MS, you likely do not have it (at least I hope you do not).

"Started moving toward a mostly vegan raw food diet alone"

Some disagree with this approach. Dr. Wahls, for example, was a vegan for many years and in her recent book goes into detail why being a vegetarian/vegan is NOT recommended for those with MS. I am not suggesting that anyone who is a vegetarian/vegan change but I do suggest you get a copy of her book and read what she has to say on the topic. It makes sense and the results she experienced are unique. For those that do not know, her diet is a high fat diet with most of that fat coming from grass fed meats.

Want2bike, are you aware that Dr. Mercola is pro 'meat'. I was shocked to find this on his site because through your many posts and links, I assumed that he was pro-vegetarian:

http://www.mercola.com/beef/health_benefits.htm

Return to “Undiagnosed”