My symptoms, but confused about MRI

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
mammamooo

My symptoms, but confused about MRI

Post by mammamooo »

6 years ago I started having 3-5 second blindness in both eyes.
then 3 years ago I had complete paralysis in rt leg, no reflex in that leg. Walked with cane 4 days.
Since then and in between I have had
trouble swallowing ( the muscles in my throat don't respond at all for a few minutes)
Almost blindness or darkening of vision
cramps in my arms and legs
tingling in my fingers
twitching in my face and eye
I also can't stand the cold and stiffen up, yet over the summer my legs felt like they had lead weights when it was hot.
My feet have gone completely numb
I have also had a headache every day for 2 to 3 months now and migrains from 11 years old.
I have been getting headaches worse and worse all along.
I stumble on words
I have trouble doing double digit multiplication and some addition. I got a 790 on my GED in both math tests
I forgot my husband of 11 years, birthday
I have spelled my 6 year old sons name wrong 4 different ways.
I spell words completely wrong all the time, once I wrote "specialir" for "50%"
I also have a lot of weakness in my legs, seen by neurologist, had to brace myself on the table to resist her on my legs and I still couldn't resist.
I sometimes have weakness in my arms, like worsening as I try to open something.
I have forgotten what I was doing, or about to say, or where I was going.
I get floaters or spots in my vision

I am sure I am forgetting something. Or a few thing

It comes and goes and it seems to get worse each time.
I just had an MRI.
The problem is that they said the results are normal. They didn't do a spinal or anything. Should I be asking for one.

I was supposed to go to neurologist years ago because my PCP then thought I may have MS. I forgot to go and never rescheduled. It has gotten worse since then. Went yesterday.
What do you think?
mammamooo

Re: My symptoms, but confused about MRI

Post by mammamooo »

Checked and it was a 1.5 and not the 3T and it was 15 to 20 minutes not 30 to 45 minutes. No contrast
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: My symptoms, but confused about MRI

Post by lyndacarol »

Welcome to ThisIsMS, mammamooo.

I have no medical background, but will give you my thoughts since your last sentence was" What you think?"

Your symptoms are consistent with a vitamin B12 deficiency. In my opinion, this is the first likely condition that your GP should be testing for.

Please watch "Everything You Want Your Doctor to Know about Vitamin B12"

I highly recommend this 50-minute documentary featuring Sally Pacholok, RN, BSN, & her husband Jeffrey Stuart, D.O. (authors of the book, Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses); Lawrence Solomon, M.D., hematologist with Yale Medical School; Ralph Green, M.D., hematologist at UC Davis; and Donald Jacobsen, PhD, at the Cleveland Clinic (Homocysteine Research Lab).

Consider seeing your PCP and discussing this possibility, even requesting #1 a serum B12 test (This test alone is not adequate to determine a deficiency.), #2 a serum homocysteine test, and #3 a serum or urinary methylmalonic acid test. Do not take B supplements before these tests as doing so will skew the results. Request copies of the actual test result numbers for any test that is done.

Any person at any age can develop a B12 deficiency. Jf you are found to have a deficiency, it is easily and inexpensively treated. If caught early, B12 deficiency symptoms are usually reversible.

We wish you all the best; please let us know how it goes with you.