Could this be ms?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
khelberg

Could this be ms?

Post by khelberg »

For one week my right and left arm have been numb. Left only my upper arm and right my entire arm to my fingers. I am fatigued doing things from my normal daily routine and get tired even carrying my baby around (this doesn't happen ever. I am in pretty good shape and suddenly feel like I've never done any activity in my life because even cutting vegetables makes me tired) I am also lightheaded along with the fatigue. Doctor did blood work which came back normal. Now I'm getting an mri Thursday but am worried they won't find anything. I'd rather them find some explanation because I am having such a hard time with my arms feeling this way and not being able to do things that I normally can. Especially play with my kids.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Could this be ms?

Post by lyndacarol »

Welcome to ThisIsMS, khelberg.

Your question is, "Could this be ms?" Yes, your symptoms (numbness in the hands/arms is called "peripheral neuropathy", fatigue, dizziness/light headedness) are consistent with MS… BUT… Your symptoms are consistent with many other conditions, too.

Keep a journal of your symptoms; request and keep copies of all your test results – "normal" is not adequate, you need to have the actual numbers. Keep working with your GP, don't let him brush you off. One week of symptoms is a short time; there may be a plausible explanation (other than MS); for instance, years ago carrying/holding my baby, who was a heavy boy, strained my arms.

You say, "Doctor did blood work;" specifically, which tests were done? A homocysteine (Hcy) test? A methylmalonic acid (MMA) test? Any of the following?

http://peripheralneuropathycenter.uchic ... #bloodtest\
Blood tests

Blood tests are commonly employed to check for vitamin deficiencies, toxic elements and evidence of an abnormal immune response.

Depending on your individual situation, your doctor may request certain laboratory tests to identify potentially treatable causes for neuropathy. These include tests for:

Vitamin B12 and folate levels
Thyroid, liver and kidney functions
Vasculitis evaluation
Oral glucose tolerance test
Antibodies to nerve components (e.g., anti-MAG antibody)
Antibodies related to celiac disease
Lyme disease
HIV/AIDS
Hepatitis C and B
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Re: Could this be ms?

Post by Youarethecure »

Do you have any family members that have MS ? How old are you ? Have you had these issues or other unexplained issues before?

Return to “Undiagnosed”