Benefits of diagnosis?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
lucybee30

Benefits of diagnosis?

Post by lucybee30 »

I've decided that I'd rather not display this post anymore.
Last edited by lucybee30 on Wed May 20, 2015 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Benefits of diagnosis?

Post by NHE »

lucybee30 wrote:So my question is...if there isn't much doubt about whether you have MS, would you get tested? Does it help with acceptance? Does it make it worse out of pure fear of your future? I prefer to not be on meds, at least as long as I feel that I don't need them. If things got bad enough to where it was interfering with my life or if I wasn't so sure about it, I'd consider it more, but at this point, I don't see many benefits of going through the process :-|
An MS diagnosis is a process of elimination. There are many conditions which can produce symptoms identical to MS. To make an MS diagnosis, these other conditions need to be eliminated from the diagnosis via testing. Some of these, such as a vitamin B12 deficiency, can also mimic MS on MRI. It's possible that you have MS. However, it's also possible that you have some other condition that's actually treatable. You may wish to review the following thread which discusses B12 deficiency. http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 24857.html