New here - Positive for Hoffman's - confused?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
heathereeni
Getting to Know You...

Re: New here - Positive for Hoffman's - confused?

Post by heathereeni »

Yes, they have already ruled out mycoplasma and Lyme disease. I don't travel and am in California. I have no STD's either. It's all baffling! :(
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

heathereeni wrote:Yes, they have already ruled out mycoplasma and Lyme disease. I don't travel and am in California. I have no STD's either. It's all baffling! :(
heathereeni, at 712 pg/mL your B-12 level appears to be fine. If you are willing to move on to additional nutrient testing, you might consider requesting your GP to order a 25(OH)D3, a.k.a. vitamin D test. Although you live in California (maybe even in Southern California since you plan to go to UCLA), perhaps you still don't get enough sun to have an adequate serum vitamin D level. The test is relatively inexpensive ($60-$80); it might be worthwhile to have the level checked. Or at least discuss the possibility with your doctor. The US Preventive Services Task Force has guidelines for vitamin D screening: leaving it to individual doctors to make their own determinations as to whether a patient might benefit from vitamin D testing.

At UCLA Scientists Panel: Dr. John Adams; Dr. Milan Fiala; Dr. H. Phillip Koeffler; and Dr. Keith C. Norris – involved with vitamin D research.

Vitamin D deficiency is considered to be the most common deficiency today (I have heard one estimate to be 80%) – most people have indoor jobs; the sun has been "demonized" and sunscreen is used by everyone!

Certain nutrients are frequently low in MS patients: vitamin B12, vitamin D3, iron, magnesium, and zinc. It might be useful to check all these.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Get them to check for NMDA antibodies.

To help with the arm, see if you can get someone to massage you this way, it might help- If you can bring your arm round to the small of your back then it really opens the shoulder blade.

The nerves going down your arm are the Ulnar, Median and Radial. I can't tell which one is troubling you but its best to go back to where they begin which between the shoulder blades. They become more complex as they pass under the shoulder blade before they move down the arm. If they are trapped, it's most likely to originate back here where the video shows.

Regards,
heathereeni
Getting to Know You...

Post by heathereeni »

Hello,

All nutrient levels have been checked and are at normal levels. Those are not an issue. My nerve pain has gone away, but I am still getting pins/needles in my hands and feet. Numbness on my lower left leg still and only in one small spot. It's all absolutely crazy!
Looking4Answers2

Post by Looking4Answers2 »

Any update on your prognosis?