New diagnosis steroids arent working.

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Bbetta1

New diagnosis steroids arent working.

Post by Bbetta1 »

I was diagnosex on Friday morning. Homecare nurse was out by noon and i started on methylprednisone infusion. It Saturday night an no change in symptoms. Supposed to be a three day course. What do i do?
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Re: New diagnosis steroids arent working.

Post by Youarethecure »

That is completely normal. It can take a lot of time to "reduce" the symptoms. That does not mean the steroids are not working.

Some of the symptoms, unfortunately, could linger around forever. Some may get better tomorrow, 1 months, or years... or never.

There is a lot of stuff you can do with diet, nutrition, exercise, and medication that can better you in the fight.

Best wishes,

Chris
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Bbetta1 wrote:I was diagnosex on Friday morning. Homecare nurse was out by noon and i started on methylprednisone infusion. It Saturday night an no change in symptoms. Supposed to be a three day course. What do i do?
Steroid infusions reduce inflammation by inducing the white blood cells to die off via a process known as apoptosis. This allows the body to start healing after the inflammation triggering the attack has ended. How long this takes is unknown and varies from person to person and even by symptom. I had IV prednisone infusions after my initial diagnosis for treating my optic neuritis. It did help my eye clear up, but it remained sensitive to heat, e.g., it would cloud over after a hot shower, for about 6-8 months. It did eventually stabilize to the point where it no longer clouds over, but this took time.
Bbetta1

Post by Bbetta1 »

thanks for input. i guess ill be learning patience on this journey.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Patience is very important with MS. That is probably the top of the list of things I have had to learn.

On a good note though, regular everyday problems are nothing compared to this battle. I have such a better understanding and appreciation of life aside from MS.