having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical symptoms

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.

Re: having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical sympto

Postby lyndacarol » Sun May 01, 2016 8:08 am

gerardyu wrote:I noticed that some of my symptoms have worsened ever since i upped my D3 dose from 1000iu to 5000iu 2 days ago. Though i cant be sure that they are a result of the increased dose. My tremors got a little worse, having quite a bit of muscle related symptoms too. I read from some sources D3 supplementation will initially worsen some symptoms before they actually get better. Is that true?
I cannot cite any research that has found this to be true, but I think I have read it somewhere, too. And, like you, this has been my experience.
User avatar
lyndacarol
Family Elder
 
Posts: 3385
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Advertisement

Re: having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical sympto

Postby NHE » Sun May 01, 2016 10:13 pm

gerardyu wrote:I noticed that some of my symptoms have worsened ever since i upped my D3 dose from 1000iu to 5000iu 2 days ago. Though i cant be sure that they are a result of the increased dose. My tremors got a little worse, having quite a bit of muscle related symptoms too. I read from some sources D3 supplementation will initially worsen some symptoms before they actually get better. Is that true?

Large doses of D3 can deplete magnesium. Are you taking a magnesium supplement?
User avatar
NHE
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:00 pm

Re: having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical sympto

Postby gerardyu » Mon May 02, 2016 12:14 am

no, how much magnesium should i take?
gerardyu
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:24 am

Re: having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical sympto

Postby NHE » Mon May 02, 2016 1:44 am

gerardyu wrote:no, how much magnesium should i take?

Around 200-400 mg/day preferably in the form of magnesium glycinate which is highly absorbable. If you can't find the glycinate form, then magnesium citrate is also good and much better than magnesium oxide. However, you should be able to find the glycinate form from online retailers such as vitacost.com and iherb.com. Try taking half your dosage at a time separate from your D3. For example, I was getting bad charlie horse leg cramps at night until I switched to taking my 200 mg of magnesium citrate in the morning and my D3 in the evening.
User avatar
NHE
Volunteer Moderator
 
Posts: 4973
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:00 pm

Re: having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical sympto

Postby lyndacarol » Tue May 03, 2016 12:38 pm

NHE wrote:
gerardyu wrote:I noticed that some of my symptoms have worsened ever since i upped my D3 dose from 1000iu to 5000iu 2 days ago. Though i cant be sure that they are a result of the increased dose. My tremors got a little worse, having quite a bit of muscle related symptoms too. I read from some sources D3 supplementation will initially worsen some symptoms before they actually get better. Is that true?

Large doses of D3 can deplete magnesium. Are you taking a magnesium supplement?
You might find the following article interesting, gerardyu:

Know the Importance of Taking Enough Magnesium with Your Vitamin D
http://www.naturalnews.com/029195_magne ... min_D.html
User avatar
lyndacarol
Family Elder
 
Posts: 3385
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical sympto

Postby gerardyu » Sun May 08, 2016 6:49 am

my symptoms got really bad in the last couple of hours. my face feels tingly and tight. i'm starting to experience the lhermitte's sign once again after almost 2 months without it or at least a very mild one in rare instances. This time, the lhermitte's sign trigger tingly, electrical sensations on my hands and foot, as well as my face. I think i'm experiencing an 'inverse lhermitte's sign'.

i dont know if this is part of the vitamin d "get worse before get better" recovery, or perhaps a terrible herx reaction that was finally triggered after taking 1 week of doxycycline for a suspected but very unlikely lyme disease.

i've had a cervical spine MRI about 3 months ago, and a brain, T-spine, L-spine MRI 2 months ago. All of them were clinically unremarkable. i'm not sure if its too soon to go for an MRI again

i've been taking 4000IU of D3, 600mg of Magnesium citrate and 600 mg of calcium supplements daily since last week
gerardyu
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:24 am

Re: having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical sympto

Postby lyndacarol » Sun May 08, 2016 9:24 am

gerardyu wrote:my symptoms got really bad in the last couple of hours. my face feels tingly and tight. i'm starting to experience the lhermitte's sign once again after almost 2 months without it or at least a very mild one in rare instances. This time, the lhermitte's sign trigger tingly, electrical sensations on my hands and foot, as well as my face. I think i'm experiencing an 'inverse lhermitte's sign'.

i dont know if this is part of the vitamin d "get worse before get better" recovery, or perhaps a terrible herx reaction that was finally triggered after taking 1 week of doxycycline for a suspected but very unlikely lyme disease.

i've had a cervical spine MRI about 3 months ago, and a brain, T-spine, L-spine MRI 2 months ago. All of them were clinically unremarkable. i'm not sure if its too soon to go for an MRI again

i've been taking 4000IU of D3, 600mg of Magnesium citrate and 600 mg of calcium supplements daily since last week
When you say, "symptoms got really bad," I wonder if this includes more than the tingly sensations in your face, hands, and foot. If your situation is serious, contact your doctor.

I wonder if you are ordinarily subject to any allergies – foods, soaps, creams or lotions. Allergies can develop at any time. In my opinion, it would be VERY unusual for your regimen of 4000 IU of D3, 600 mg of magnesium, and 600 mg of calcium daily for one week to cause this reaction. (I just read an article in which Dr. Robert P Heaney, vitamin D expert, revealed that he takes 10,000 IU of vitamin D daily.)

Remember again that I have no medical background, but certainly if you have tightening in the throat and difficulty breathing, you need to contact a doctor immediately.

As for frequent MRIs… Since the contrast used in MRIs (gadolinium) is a heavy metal (and heavy metals are not good for the body), I, personally, am not in favor of getting an MRI more often than is absolutely necessary. But whether you need an MRI again now is a decision for you and your doctor to make.
User avatar
lyndacarol
Family Elder
 
Posts: 3385
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Re: having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical sympto

Postby gerardyu » Sun May 08, 2016 7:30 pm

i did not have any symptoms that was life threatening.

it got a little better today when i woke up in the morning today. The lhermitte's sign is still present occasionally when i bent my neck, the tingly electrical sensations are milder.

and my right foot is 'vibrating' now. it used to vibrate on my left foot,

I also feel some muscle cramp when flexing one of my fingers. I wonder if all this may be due to a compressed nerve
gerardyu
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:24 am

Re: having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical sympto

Postby gerardyu » Mon May 09, 2016 1:14 am

i think i did not experience an 'inverse' lhermittes sign, i read that the Trigeminal nerve which carries nerve signals to and from the face extends down to the C3 level. so a pinched or damage nerve somewhere at C3 or C2 may cause the lower facial sensations that i'm experiencing
gerardyu
Getting to Know You...
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:24 am

Re: having some MS-specific symptoms and MS-atypical sympto

Postby Quattro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:56 pm

gerardyu wrote:i think i did not experience an 'inverse' lhermittes sign, i read that the Trigeminal nerve which carries nerve signals to and from the face extends down to the C3 level. so a pinched or damage nerve somewhere at C3 or C2 may cause the lower facial sensations that i'm experiencing

Hello from Slovenia

I wonder whether you are now ok?whether your symptoms disappear?
Quattro
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:06 am

Previous

Return to Undiagnosed

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Contact us | Terms of Service