Can anyone interpret an MRI?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
LilDarlin

Can anyone interpret an MRI?

Post by LilDarlin »

The bilateral cerebral hemispheres are unremarkable. Periventricular and subcritical white matter signal changes consistent with chronic micro vascular ischemic change identified. There is no ventriculomegaly. Intracraniel vascular flow voids are maintained. No restricted diffusion to suggest acute infarct. Polypoid focus within the right maxillary sinus consistent with a retention cyst identified. N mass identified.
LilDarlin

Re: Can anyone interpret an MRI?

Post by LilDarlin »

My B12 was 336 and vit D 36
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Can anyone interpret an MRI?

Post by NHE »

First, don't panic. Your doctor should go over your MRI report with you and explain anything you don't understand. Next, you can use a medical dictionary to look up any words you don't know. The Free Dictionary site offers a medical dictionary, http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/
LilDarlin wrote:Periventricular and subcritical white matter signal changes consistent with chronic micro vascular ischemic change identified.
This sounds like you might have some lesion like changes consistent with low blood flow. This isn't likely specific to MS as several conditions can cause these changes, migraines, sleep apnea and vitamin B12 deficiency to name a few. Your doctor should recommend further testing if they think it's necessary. However, given my background, I think that testing B12 would be a good idea if it hasn't been done already. If you have neurological symptoms, then you want your B12 to be above 500 pg/mL. A sleep study test might also be indicated.
LilDarlin wrote:Polypoid focus within the right maxillary sinus consistent with a retention cyst identified. N mass identified.
It sounds like you might have some sinus problems. The following page offers some discussion in this area. http://www.healthcaremagic.com/question ... ean/527854 Though, be careful with that site. I read one of the doctor's replies and it stated that "happiness cures everything." Now, if only MSers could be happy. :roll: Instead, you may want to try a saline sinus rinse like the NeilMed. I use one whenever I have congestion or sinus pain and find that it helps. http://shop.neilmed.com/Products/Sinus- ... ular-Kit_2 You can also find these at your local Target store or at Amazon. However, my interpretation of your report is that the radiologist only saw something on the MRI that "suggested" a possible polyp and that there might be a typo in the last sentence that may have been possibly meant to read "No mass identified." which would mean that they didn't see an actual polyp. Your doctor should offer clarification on this matter as the statement could mean something else.

Lastly, I don't have a medical degree, and even if I did, anything I write could very well be null and void.

Return to “Undiagnosed”