Really scared

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.

Really scared

Postby Alziepalz » Thu May 19, 2016 3:43 am

So for the past 5 months my neck has been contracting and then it shakes a little(looks like I'm shaking my head to say no) this happens all day long hundreds of times a day.I figured it was a pinched nerve since I'm holding children all day( I have 4 little girls). Then a month ago my arms started to feel really weak when I lifted them and they tremble ever so slightly when I'm doing anything that requires fine motor skills.Still feel like this is coming from s pinched nerve in my neck so I started seeing a Chiro 2 times a week Then 2 days after the arms started I got a twitch or spasm in my lower right eyelid. It has twitched nonstop for 1 month straight(so annoying).Finally, since all these symptoms weren't improving I decided to go to my Dr.I was expecting him to say " pinched nerve just wait it out" but instead he orders 2 MRI s one on brain and one for cervical spine, then he did a bunch of tests and said my " gait" was very off.He then asked if I had MS in my family.This totally freaked me out.Im 36 yrs old and a mother of 4(7,5,2, and 10 month old) my husband is out of state for a month and I'm just not sure what to think. I guess I'm trying to prepare for the worst. Anyone have symptoms similar to mine?
Alziepalz

Advertisement

Re: Really scared

Postby Alziepalz » Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 am

I forgot to add that a week ago I was driving and everything started to spin.I almost got into an accident and it freaked me out so I went to the ER.They did bloodwork and said everything was fine but I had low phosphorus levels?Gave me some OJ with phosphorite and told me I had vertigo.
Alziepalz

Re: Really scared

Postby lyndacarol » Thu May 19, 2016 7:25 am

Alziepalz wrote:So for the past 5 months my neck has been contracting and then it shakes a little(looks like I'm shaking my head to say no) this happens all day long hundreds of times a day.I figured it was a pinched nerve since I'm holding children all day( I have 4 little girls). Then a month ago my arms started to feel really weak when I lifted them and they tremble ever so slightly when I'm doing anything that requires fine motor skills.Still feel like this is coming from s pinched nerve in my neck so I started seeing a Chiro 2 times a week Then 2 days after the arms started I got a twitch or spasm in my lower right eyelid. It has twitched nonstop for 1 month straight(so annoying).Finally, since all these symptoms weren't improving I decided to go to my Dr.I was expecting him to say " pinched nerve just wait it out" but instead he orders 2 MRI s one on brain and one for cervical spine, then he did a bunch of tests and said my " gait" was very off.He then asked if I had MS in my family.This totally freaked me out.Im 36 yrs old and a mother of 4(7,5,2, and 10 month old) my husband is out of state for a month and I'm just not sure what to think. I guess I'm trying to prepare for the worst. Anyone have symptoms similar to mine?
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Alziepalz.

When you saw your doctor and he "did a bunch of tests," did he order blood tests? Specifically, did he order nutrient testing? (Or was any of the following tests included in the blood work done at the ER? – I doubt it since the vitamin D test, etc. must be specifically requested; these tests are not part of any routine panel.)

Since over 1/2 of the world's population is deficient in vitamin D, and since this deficiency can cause neurological symptoms, I hope your doctor ordered a vitamin D test (the "25-hydroxy D" test). If this test has not been done, please request one. It is a simple blood test and is relatively inexpensive ($50-$70, and is covered by most insurance).

Another possible cause for neurological symptoms is a vitamin B12 deficiency. Has your doctor ordered any of the 4 tests necessary to uncover a B12 deficiency: #1 a serum B12 test, #2 RBC folate test, #3 serum homocysteine test, #4 methylmalonic acid test?

Magnesium deficiency can also cause neurological problems.

(By the way, request your own copy of any test results. It is important to have the actual number result.)

There are many conditions to be ruled out before a doctor should jump to the possibility of MS.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Return to Undiagnosed