MRI results waiting for Neuro apt Tuesday(Subtle fociT2 WMH)

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.

MRI results waiting for Neuro apt Tuesday(Subtle fociT2 WMH)

Postby pondy73 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:56 pm

Hello everyone

I am a 43 yr old female, with an MS dad. Until 3 months ago was in decent shape, ran and all was good. Since late July I have had general fatigue, lead legs, cold hands, and recently sinus pressure type headaches which have started to make me to feel a bit 'out of it'. I am still going to work and have opted to walk now instead of run, its a bit of struggle but Im getting by. I did get a bit hopeful when my Optician gave me a clean bill of health for my vision, said that there were no red flags for MS. But then I read my MRI report, and Its obvious that there are a couple of red flags with the T2 White Matter, even though its non specific, I'm asuming I can be expecting a whole bunch of further testing and follow up MRI's. Ill find out next week, but if you had similar MRI results or insights, would love to hear your thoughts. I'm thinking the Sinus Disease may explain a bit of the dizziness however?

TECHNIQUE: MRI BRAIN WWO CONTRAST SAG T1, SAG T2, COR FLAIR, sagittal and axial
FLAIR, AX PD, AX T2 AX T1 pre contrast and AX T1 FS POST COR T1 FS POST 12 cc
MultiHance intravenous.

REPORT: Minimal right maxillary sinus disease. Minimal ethmoid sinus disease.
The ventricles and sulci within normal limits for age. No extra axial fluid
collections, midline shift. The major intracranial flow voids. Subtle foci of T2
prolongation near the posterior horns of the bilateral lateral ventricles with
equivocal periventricular white matter T2 hyperintensity, centrum semiovale and
corona radiata. No corresponding enhancement. No abnormal enhancement.

Impression:

IMPRESSION:

1. Subtle equivocal periventricular white matter T2 hyperintensity, as described
above. Part of findings could be artifactual. If these are true findings, they
are nonspecific with a long differential diagnosis in a patient of this age.
Recommend clinical correlation and consider follow-up MRI.

2. No abnormal enhancement.

3. Minimal paranasal sinus disease.
pondy73

Advertisement

Re: MRI results waiting for Neuro apt Tuesday(Subtle fociT2

Postby pondy73 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:48 pm

I guess I will find out myself tomorrow when I meet my neuro. Good Night to you all and best of luck.
Last edited by pondy73 on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
pondy73

Postby NHE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:40 am

Hi Pondy,
Welcome to ThisIsMS. Your MRI report reads...

...with equivocal periventricular white matter T2 hyperintensity...

There could be many reasons for an apparent T2 hyperintensity. It doesn't necessarily mean MS. Moreover, the use of the word equivocal implies that this finding was not well defined and is open to interpretation.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby pondy73 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:25 am

Thank you NHE. My symptoms of aching, numbness and dizziness have spiked since I got this result and have been self diagnosing from the internet. I wonder if this spike is more stress related. I will post an update later once I see the neurologist today so others can also learn. More to come ..
pondy73

Postby NHE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:14 am

Have you had any blood tests? For example, B12, D3, homocysteine, red blood cell folate, infections (e.g. lyme), etc?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Postby pondy73 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:22 am

I was tested by a rheumatologist before being referred to neurology for infections but I am not sure about Lyme.
My D has definitely been low but my doctor seemed to rule that out. B12 is normal. Also low in magnesium and I get comfort from applying magnesium oil in the mornings.

I'm assuming the neurologist might do more tests and I'll raise the vitamin D, thanks for reminder. I know for sure that was pretty low last time checked 2 years ago.
pondy73

Postby pondy73 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:30 am

Just checked my vitamin D was 19. Normal range is 30 to 100. That was a year ago and they didn't retest despite symptoms.
pondy73

Postby lyndacarol » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:07 am

pondy73 wrote:Just checked my vitamin D was 19. Normal range is 30 to 100. That was a year ago and they didn't retest despite symptoms.
Your vitamin D3 level (at 19 ng/mL) is VERY low.

The standard range used by your lab (30-100 ng/mL) was suggested by the Institute of Medicine, but a consensus of vitamin D experts at GrassrootsHealth (http://www.grassrootshealth.net) thinks the vitamin D level should be at least 40-60 ng/mL. (http://www.grassrootshealth.net/iomquotes) – This was in 2010; dosage now suggested to raise your level of 19 is much higher according to their chart (http://grassrootshealth.net/media/image ... single.pdf)

Some even recommend that a person with neurological symptoms should reach and maintain a level of 80-100.

I urge you to call your GP (or neuro) and request a retest of your vitamin D3. When you have your current number, you and your doctor can plan your next step. I'm reasonably sure that you will need generous supplementation.

Magnesium is necessary for the function of vitamin D, so a current test of your magnesium level would also be a good idea (to be sure your level is adequate).
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Postby pondy73 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks everyone ! I am happy to report that my MRI is clear. I wanted to pass on info from my neurologist that not all white spots are MS, as was mentioned previously in this post. The spots would have to be scattered across several parts of the brain and spinal cord to be considered a risk for ms. The conclusion is that I have migraines and yes am low in vitamin D. If you try to google your MRI results it can give you some terrifying info, and while in some cases white matter can mean ms. In a lot of cases it's nothing serious but should be read by your neurologist. I am going to be going on migraine medication and a vitamin D supplement.

As soon as I got this news some symptoms went away instantly and I'm assuming stress was compounding my symptoms. Good luck to you all in your quest for answers !
pondy73

Postby NHE » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:17 pm

pondy73 wrote:I was tested by a rheumatologist before being referred to neurology for infections but I am not sure about Lyme.
My D has definitely been low but my doctor seemed to rule that out. B12 is normal. Also low in magnesium and I get comfort from applying magnesium oil in the mornings.

I'm assuming the neurologist might do more tests and I'll raise the vitamin D, thanks for reminder. I know for sure that was pretty low last time checked 2 years ago.

Knowing that B12 is "normal" often isn't good enough. The typical laboratory range for B12 runs from 200-800 pg/mL. As such, for example, a level around 250 could potentially be considered "normal." However, a level at 250 really represents a deficiency. Anyone with neurological symptoms should be over 500 and preferably 600-1000 pg/mL. As you can see, it's really best to know you're actual results. Some medical groups define the lower limit of "normal" at 180 pg/mL. This is preposterous.

Please see the following discussion topic for more information.

natural-approach-f27/topic24857.html

In addition, you may wish to read the book "Could It Be B12, An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses" by Sally Pacholok and Jeffrey Stuart. It's a great reference with chapters dedicated to how B12 deficiency can mimic other disorders such as MS, dementia, autism, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epi ... 884995691/

Although I linked to its Amazon page, you can probably get it from your local library.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Return to Undiagnosed