My History of MS-related symptoms

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
MSyborg
Family Member

My History of MS-related symptoms

Post by MSyborg »

Could this be MS? If so, then what type of MS is it?

Pre-ms symptoms: I had my macbook pro on my arm for like 20 minutes, then after a moved it out of my arm, I couldn't feel my hand for like 5 minutes.

In between: My hands started feel a little tingly when I use my Mac.

October 2016: My weakness on my hands started progressing
Temporary(difficulty breathing, tremors, difficulty swallowing, difficulty urinating, difficulty sleeping, numbness & tingling on legs & feet, sensitivity to temperature, erectile dysfunction, confusion incontinence, facial numbness, slurred speech, slight difficulty walking)
Persistent(weakness in hands, incontinence)

November 2016:
Temporary(numbness & tingling on legs & feet, facial numbness, erectile dysfunction)

December 2016:
Temporary(involuntary movement on eyelids)

January 2017:
Temporary(tremors)

February 2017:
Temporary(erectile dysfunction, difficulty chewing, slurred speech)
Persistent(weakness in hands, tremors, incontinence)

March 2017:
Temporary(difficulty chewing, difficulty thinking, difficulty breathing, weakness on feet)
Persistent(weakness in hands, tremors, incontinence, erectile dysfunction, slured speech)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: My History of MS-related symptoms

Post by jimmylegs »

all of these could potentially have links to nutritional issues. what is your diet like? if you list all food fluid supplements and medications for three typical days of one week (eg two work week days and one weekend day) it could indicate where improvements might be advisable.

related posts reviewing diet just to see if daily magnesium requirements, as one example, are being met:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/undiagnos ... ml#p246503
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
MSyborg
Family Member

Post by MSyborg »

I'm not on any medications and my diet is like that of most people, specifically Americans.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

The only way to know if you have MS is to have testing done. The criteria for diagnosing MS (The Revised McDonald Criteria) relies heavily on MRI evidence and requires all other possible causes for your symptoms be ruled out.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

sounds like that's the first thing to work on then.
The Standard American Diet and Its Relationship to the Health Status of Americans
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 3610386234
Abstract
The Standard American Diet (SAD) has long been implicated in contributing to the health challenges experienced in the United States. Significant changes to the SAD have occurred since the 1950s, including a greater abundance and accessibility to calorie-dense and nutrient-poor food and beverage choices. The disparity of present consumption patterns to diet and nutrition recommendations from the Dietary Guidelines for Americans are addressed.
Role of “Western Diet” in Inflammatory Autoimmune Diseases
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 013-0404-6
Developed societies, although having successfully reduced the burden of infectious disease, constitute an environment where metabolic, cardiovascular, and autoimmune diseases thrive. Living in westernized countries has not fundamentally changed the genetic basis on which these diseases emerge, but has strong impact on lifestyle and pathogen exposure. In particular, nutritional patterns collectively termed the “Western diet”, including high-fat and cholesterol, high-protein, high-sugar, and excess salt intake, as well as frequent consumption of processed and ‘fast foods’, promote obesity, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease. These factors have also gained high interest as possible promoters of autoimmune diseases. Underlying metabolic and immunologic mechanisms are currently being intensively explored. This review discusses the current knowledge relative to the association of “Western diet” with autoimmunity, and highlights the role of T cells as central players linking dietary influences to autoimmune pathology.
if you list all food fluid supplements and medications for three typical days of one week (eg two work week days and one weekend day) it could indicate where improvements might be advisable.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

MSyborg wrote:I'm not on any medications and my diet is like that of most people, specifically Americans.
The Standard American Diet (SAD) makes people sick. Please see...

Dr. Fuhrman's 3 Steps to Incredible Health

Dr. Fuhrman's Immunity Solution

In the first video he introduces his nutrient density line which ranks food based on its microcnutrient content. The goal is to eat more foods from higher up on the list. See the following post for the detailed list. http://www.thisisms.com/forum/diet-f9/t ... ml#p174562
MSyborg
Family Member

Post by MSyborg »

The problem with eating healthy is that many Americans can't afford it most of the time. It's pretty expensive.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Eating healthy is not necessarily more expensive than a diet of 'non-healthy' foods. Which specific foods are you referring to that are expensive?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

if you list all food fluid supplements and medications for three typical days of one week (eg two work week days and one weekend day) it could indicate where improvements might be advisable, including spending allocations. i've advised ppl on a budget item by item using their typical regular shopping list. i personally prioritize healthy food. and this is going back a few years but sometimes to the point of things like washing clothes by hand to save the change on the machines.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Have you had any testing for your symptoms? Many conditions need to be ruled out and testing for MS needs to be positive before a person can know if they have MS. There is a diagnostic criteria for this disease -- The Revised McDonald Criteria. The symptoms you are having can be caused by just about anything, the diagnosis of MS is one of exclusion.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

MSyborg wrote:The problem with eating healthy is that many Americans can't afford it most of the time. It's pretty expensive.
You can add some good foods inexpensively. For example, instead of iceberg lettuce, use romaine. Add some watercress to your salad. Steam some broccoli. Instead of white potatoes, use sweet potatoes. I happen to like the dark yellow/orange ones. Instead of munching on potato chips, munch on carrot sticks. Roast a head of cauliflower. Cut out the florets, toss them in a bowl with a liberal supply of olive oil, some salt and pepper and then spread them out on a cookie sheet. Bake at 385°F for 18 minutes, turn off the oven and let them sit for another 18 minutes. They'll brown a little on the edges and they practically turn into candy. Another idea is to saute up some red cabbage, onions, carrots and bok choy and serve over brown rice. A few simple substitutions a few times a week can get you eating healthier in no time.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

brown rice is a key substitution. one of the first nutrient deficiencies ever identified (B1) was associated specifically with white rice consumption.

A study of the influence of rice diet and of inanition on the production of multiple neuritis of fowls and the bearing thereof on the etiology of beriberi
WP Chamberlain, HD Bloombergh, ED Kilbourne - Philippine Journal of Science B, 1911

infant study, but shows that this is still a thing:
Cardiac Beriberi Often a Missed-Diagnosis (2010)
https://academic.oup.com/tropej/article ... -Diagnosis
All the babies were exclusively breast-fed and their mothers belonged to low socio-economic status with their staple diet consisting of non-parboiled polished rice. ...
Low levels of erythrocyte transketolase activity suggested thiamine deficiency that was confirmed by reversion of several clinical features including cardiologic abnormalities to normalcy on thiamine supplementation.
MSyborg
Family Member

Post by MSyborg »

I'm also usually sleep-deprived, even before I had these issues.
MSyborg
Family Member

Post by MSyborg »

I think I might have double vision. It seems pretty mild and its usually in a distance. I also have blurry vision but it's due to myopia.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

MSyborg wrote:I think I might have double vision. It seems pretty mild and its usually in a distance.
Double vision (Diplopia) is either Monocular or binocular. There are different causes for Diplopia and can be as simple as dry eyes. You would need to see an Ophthalmologist to know if you have Diplopia and what might be causing it.