IJV operation

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
LR1234
Family Elder

IJV operation

Post by LR1234 »

Hi Could someone read this and explain what this guy had done.....
Could it be used for someone with a totally occluded jugular?

http://www.jvascsurg.org/article/S0741-5214(09%2901448-7/fulltext
Cece
Family Elder

Re: IJV operation

Post by Cece »

Ok, that's an interesting one. The patient was a dialysis patient. The brachiocephalic vein on the left side became permanently occluded. They put a teflon tube in him to replace it, going from the axillary vein of the left arm to the right jugular. (Thus adding to the flow through that jugular and potentially slowing the drainage from the brain!) All was well for a short time. Then the left jugular thrombosed. So they stuck a teflon tube graft from the left jugular to the right. Now the arm and the left jugular and the right jugular's flow all drain through the right jugular. They have created CCSVI conditions in this patient but they have preserved the left arm vein for dialysis.

The only reason a jugular to jugular graft was used was because the left brachiocephalic vein was occluded. In CCSVI patients with an occluded jugular, the graft can be put in from the healthy portion of the jugular to the healthy brachiocephalic/innominate vein, which is what the jugular drains into.

In a CCSVI patient, not much would be gained by putting a jugular to jugular graft in place, and it would be endangering the healthy jugular by cutting into it for the graft.

Are you considering getting a graft done, LR? I think we need to see the long-term outcomes for patients currently getting this done.
msscooter
Family Member

Post by msscooter »

I cannot open this link. is there an abstract available?
I have been MSsooter but need to change my name after libration. Don't use a scooter anymore! I am LaFemmeMSketeer!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

http://tinyurl.com/7prqt2u

I tinyurl'ed it for you :)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

I fixed the link. Please see this FAQ for an explanation. Regarding the table of hex codes, for the most part it's just the closing parenthesis, ), that's a problem which can be fixed by replacing it with %29.

NHE

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”